The Uniform Server Community

behind a router

ardentcrest

I am behind a router I have my ports opened to 8080, I also have an DtDNS account.

the thing is when I try to load my site it gives me my router config page not my (WWW) server page.

the DtDNS will not let me add :8080 to my ip address

what can I do

I am now getting

The connection has timed out

The server at ******** is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I am behind a router I have my ports opened to 8080, I also have an DtDNS account.

the thing is when I try to load my site it gives me my router config page not my (WWW) server page.

the DtDNS will not let me add :8080 to my ip address

what can I do?

First, what make and model router? Second, to get past the problem, use a different port other than 8080 for the Uniform Server, like 8000.

Or perhaps you have remote management turned on in the router, so that if you're away from home, you can still mess with the router config. IMHO you should turn this off until you know you need it.

On my router, remote managent activates port 8080, but I can choose another one also, like 8070.

As for DtDNS, its function is only to translate the IP name to IP address. It doesn't know ports from squat.

The router should have a table for port forwarding to an internal address. On D-Link or Linksys, look for the Applications & Gaming page. There you can add a specific port range and an internal address where those packets are to be routed. Example is port 8000 forwarded to 192.168.0.25.

An important tip: Your router is also your DHCP server, and to keep things properly functioning, the machine running Uniform Server needs a permanent address. Some routers have the capability to reserve a specific address. For others, set up the machine with a static address outside the range of the DHCP pool. Example above would work with a pool of 192.168.0.100-199. Then no other machine would be given a conflicting address.

Regards,

BobS

For the DHCP I have this

DHCP Status

Local DHCP Server: Enable Disable DHCP Relay

DHCP Server

Start of Address Range: 192.168.1.2

End of Address Range: 192.168.1.10

Local Domain Name: local.lan

DHCP Relay

DHCP Server Address: . . .

remote management is set to port 8000 internal cant be changed

my site is www.midlands.etowns.net

Yeah, port forwarding/mapping is just like what BobS has told you, you should play with your router to cope with your application on your box behind ...

It becomes trivial once you know what you are doing ;-)

I have other programs that I run and can be seen from the internet (using port 8888) I just cant get this server to be seen. and yes I did try 8888 with this server.