The Uniform Server Community

Vista - can't start server (path problem?)

zebra

Hi and help please,

Been using xp and uniform server for a while but have had to switch to a vista pc and now when I try to start the server I get this error message:

Windows cannot find '\usr\local\mysql\bin\mysql-opt.exe'.

It's a bit of a long-shot, but it might be that your path is too long. NTFS supports paths of only up to 127 characters, of which 30 are being used there. Move the "Uniform Server" folder to the root of your C drive, and try again.

After that, check your permissions out. Right-click the folder, click Properties, and you'll find a tab there for Security. You'll need to click around here to figure some things out for yourself (I'm on an XP machine with simple file sharing enabled, so I can't guide you through this), but what you want to do is claim ownership of the files to your user account or the group to which your user account belongs, including all objects, and then grant yourself, the system, and any account that looks useful full access privs. Assuming it starts working after that, access the security properties again to trim account access down to something a little safer before letting the server go wild.