The Uniform Server Community

hosting multiple domains

jacksmailonline

Hi. I am about to begin hosting websites for a few friends using Uniform Server, but how do I host multiple domains? Should I use seperate servers or can I do this from one computer? I do not want to use sub domains. I am running Windows Server 2003 R2. By the way is using Uniform Server for a business against the license?

<<<<----Jacksmail Online---->>>>

What you are looking for is Apache Virtual Host. It allows one Apache server to pretend to be many different servers at the same time.

It works like this:

When you sign up to a service provider they allocate you a unique IP address, this can be either static or dynamic. For example IP address 123.456.789.001 if they allocated a static one this will never change. However if it is dynamic it changes every time you re-connect (this will be a pain when hosing however it is resolvable) I will assume your IP address is static.

Suppose you wish to host three separate companies for example company1, company2 and company3. They each rush off and buy a domain name; these domains are different however they have one thing in common they point to your static IP address. Hence when one of the companies registers a domain name they must give your static IP address, could look something like this:

company1 www.fred.internationl.com 123.456.789.001

company2 www.scratch.it.net 123.456.789.001

company3 www.lost.intime.org 123.456.789.001

Now in the Uniserver folder www you create three sub-folders say named

company1, company2 and company3.

The folders are effectively the companies’ top-level sites (ie where you put their index page and any associated folders and pages pages)

When a surfer types any one of the above web addresses (www.fred.internationl.com, www.scratch.it.net or www.lost.intime.org) they will be taken to your server (IP address 123.456.789.001) and to the default folder WWW the index page contained in it will be served. Not what you want however I mention this because it is important.

Apache knows nothing about your IP address why should it, what Apache is looking for is the identity of the user requesting the page. This will be either (www.fred.internationl.com, www.scratch.it.net or www.lost.intime.org) it checks these against its Virtual Host entries and responds accordingly.

To seperate out these web sites you need to create enteris the Apache httpd.conf file

Located in the following folder: Uniform Server\diskw\usr\local\apache2\conf

At the very end of this file you will find the vertial host section look for the line

# NameVirtualHost *

Remove the comment character # this enables Name Virtual Hosting. Now add your your virtuial hosts so it looks like this:

NameVirtualHost *

ServerName www.fred.internationl.com

DocumentRoot /www/ company1

ServerName www.scratch.it.net

ServerName www.lost.intime.org

DocumentRoot /www/ company3

Save the file and you are ready to go. Note Apache reads this file at start up so you need to re-start your server for the changes to take place.

Regarding the lience, the software is free hence you cannot charge your custometers for it, sites you host shall say powered by Uniform Server. Other than that you can charge for all other services you provide.

Note: If you need to resolve a Dynamic IP address

Try this page:

http://center.uniformserver.com/home_webse...p/dyndns_1.html

One other thought you mentioned Windows Server 2003 you should have no problem so long as you are not runnung any other servers.

I think that covers it.

All the best and have fun.