The Uniform Server Community

Directory Confusion

jschall

This is the first of several points on which I am confused.

Oladije, thanks for all your help, and if I can get answers for today's confusions from another thread here, the Wiki, the docs, a FAQ list, or a tutorial elsewhere on the Web, please just point me to it!

So, confusion #1 for today - directory structure:

diskw (or W:\, as far as Apache is concerned) contains the favicon.ico, and these folders:

- \www

---Here are some HTML files, including the default index.htm - titled "Apache Test" (which says, "Here has to be your server.")

---I have added my own *.htm files here, along with some of their image files - .gif, .jpeg

--- and there is an .htaccess file - but I'll ask about that in another post...

--- and there is a test.php file - called from a link on the Apache Test page

- \cgi-bin contains:

--- another .htaccess file and

--- *.cgi files - so far, only the two default ones linked from the Apache Test page

- \usr contains:

----\bin, where perl executables reside

----\lib, containing a lot of .pm files, and other stuff I'd better not ask about...

----\local, containing Apache stuff, mysql stuff, and Php stuff. Sounds important.

- \home, with these folders:

----\admin

----\CGI - lots more .cgi files, and an .htaccess file

----\program, with the uniserver.exe file

----\WWW, which contains the Uniform Server "Main Page" as index.htmL,

----- as well as some other important stuff like phpMyAdmin, and a plugins folder holding phpfm.0.2.3 and PHP-pear

-\plugins, holding the two FTP applications I downloaded from the Uniform Server site (Are these files in the right place? Should they be in w:\home\www\plugins?)

-\tmp, holding two mysterious files - sess_6o10kb07ipvuf0i2r6njalcb34 and sess_s09ui6qnstv93bvrbn79m19fk3 - I won't even think about asking what THEY'RE for...

My confusion is - why does the Apache Test page suggest that I DELETE w:\cgi-bin AND w:\www ? If I do that, where do I put the pages I want to serve? Where do I put cgi scripts, which would normally go in the \cgi-bin folder?

As I said, if this is explained somewhere else, just point me to it!

EDIT: I just found the serverstructure.txt file in the doc folder :angry:

It answers a lot of my confusion, but I'm still not sure if I can delete w:\cgi-bin AND w:\www!

- Jeff

Dont! It does not say delete it, it says clean it. It only means that it would delete the unneeded files and leave it open. It wont delete the folders!