The Uniform Server Community

eAccelerator and APC are disabled!?

kristovaher

I tried to Google and look through Uniform Server documentation but I cannot find any information on why it is not possible to use neither APC nor eAccelerator with it. I have stopped all servers, went to PHP Extensions Enable/Disable and they are not listed there. Then I also went to eAccelerators and APC's panel and neither of them have boxes checked and it is not possible to check these checkboxes either.

What am I doing wrong?

I even searched through the entire Uniform Server archive and did not find any DLL's for APC.

Hm.... delete the UnIServer folder an download Coral 8.5.0 again.

Works here without problems...

But can you actually 'click' on any of those checkboxes?

I can see the same view, but cannot click on them. I did exactly that just now and no success. I deleted the entire folder, downloaded the archive again, unpacked it and ran the application. Still the same problem.

There is no php_apc.dll in Coral 8.5.0 archive. I even tried turning it on in php.ini and it just throws errors when I use anything of APC:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function apc_cache_info() in C:\UniServer\www\test.php on line 7

If I go to server configuration, the control panel options for APC and eAccelerator are shown for a moment, then turn off and I cannot check any of the boxes.

Everything else works perfectly.

When I read the release announcement, I noticed that it stated that BOTH APC and eAccelerator were NOT included, "to be added later" (I just went back and highlighted that).

And traxxus, while your image is missing the all-important "X" in the box, showing that neither of the accelerators is active, the control panel only shows the status of the php.ini directive. The basis of the problem is that the dlls are simply missing.

So I would say that you'll have to wait for a "more perfectly-formed" release from Ric. Maybe Coral_8.5.0 should have been labeled BETA.

Regards,

BobS

No it is not just 8.5.0, this is already missing in 8.4.0. I tested older versions of Uniform Server, and 8.3.1 still had it working.

But it is missing in 8.4.0 and 8.5.0.

I edited Wiki WAMP comparisons accordingly, since that said that 8.5.0 (and used to say the same about 8.4.0) includes APC and eAccelerator, since I (and I am sure others) are coming here using that as a guide to select their preferred version of WAMP.

This is rather crucial part for me about Uniform Server, but I suppose there are some compatibility problems with PHP 5.4?

Here are the notes for 8.5.0-Coral release:

This release updates MySQL server.

Bug fixes see change log for details.

Core components:

Apache 2.4.1

MySQL 5.5.22 -- Update

PHP 5.4.0 - Update

phpMyAdmin 3.4.10.1

Go-Pear 1.1.6 - Preinstalled

msmtp 1.4.27

eAccelerator 1.0-snv427 ---- To be added

APC 3.1.7 ----- To be added

OpenSSL 1.0.0e

ActivePerl via Installer

Cron - Scheduler

DtDNS - IP address updater

db_backup - Database back-up

So it is not surprise they do not "work" since they haven't been included.

<p class="bbc_center"><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Yoni</strong></span></p>

Here are the notes for 8.5.0-Coral release:

So it is not surprise they do not "work" since they haven't been included.

I apologize that I did not notice this, I came here from WAMP Comparison WIKI page where Uniform Server was listed having PHP 5.4.0, APC and eAccelerator. I fixed Wiki since then, but I did not expect to have to go to forum and read forum announcements to learn about this. Even Uniform Server's own Wiki lists APC as part of 8.4.0 production version, when in fact it is not so.

So here's a note about eAccelerator.

It seems the project is basically dead. :)

The main site(http://eaccelerator.net) shows a server test page.

If you use https://eaccelerator.net, it shows an expired certificate warning.

If you put in an exception, yo can get to the TracWiki for eAccelerator.

Whoopie.

They show links to download eAccelerator version 0.9.6.1 from 2010/05/31, but the actual download link is broken. You get "De opgevraagde pagina werd niet gevonden." Same for the SVN link.

If you search on Sourceforge.net, you can get version 0.9.6.1.

But note that this was last fixed to work with with PHP 5.3.

So for PHP 5.4, we can essentially kiss this off.

Regards,

BobS

I would not mind, I've never used eAccelerator.

They originally intended to add APC as a default extension to PHP in 5.4, but that did not happen. I hope that APC does not die the same way as eAccelerator did, since PHP - as an interpreted language - would really benefit from such functionality in core rather than as a hard-to-get extension (especially for shared hosting services).

Note 2, concerning APC. It may not be ready for prime-time in version PHP 5.4.0, so it wasn't included in the core package. HOWEVER, the "current" version, which is touted to work with PHPH 5.1 and up, is available in PEAR. See Pecl: http://pecl.php.net/package/APC/3.1.9

NOTE that the PEAR interface comes back with:

No releases available for package "pear.php.net/APC" - package pecl/APC can be installed with "pecl install APC"
Hopefully that works. :) Now, whether or not APC ACTUALLY WORKS with PHP 5.4.0 is still to be determined.

I ran across a ref to PHP 5.4 and APC which gives a brief summary of what's up:

http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/173-PH...HP-Version.html

BTW, this blog also has more posts about the status of PHP, probably more detail than you need/want to know. :)

Regards,

BobS

Note 2, concerning APC. It may not be ready for prime-time in version PHP 5.4.0, so it wasn't included in the core package. HOWEVER, the "current" version, which is touted to work with PHPH 5.1 and up, is available in PEAR. See Pecl: http://pecl.php.net/package/APC/3.1.9

NOTE that the PEAR interface comes back with:

Hopefully that works. :) Now, whether or not APC ACTUALLY WORKS with PHP 5.4.0 is still to be determined.

I ran across a ref to PHP 5.4 and APC which gives a brief summary of what's up:

http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/173-PH...HP-Version.html

BTW, this blog also has more posts about the status of PHP, probably more detail than you need/want to know. :)

Regards,

BobS

Cheers for the information :)

From what I know, APC does work in 5.4, but there might be some bugs related to new features in PHP 5.4, so I suppose that holds things back. As for PHPClasses blog, then I used to read it but have given it up now, I am not too big a fan of information they provide, it is sometimes speculative and sometimes just not accurate enough.

I tend to pay attention to PHP internals and see what's going on there instead for bleeding-edge information, but APC has not been discussed there for a few months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was going to remove redundant accelerator button from UniServer 9-Steel and noticed eaccelerator has been re-launched at https://github.com/eaccelerator/eaccelerator

Eaccelerator binaries have now been added to both UniServer 9-Steel (Beta) and Uniform Server 8.6.1-Coral

All the best

Ric :)