The Uniform Server Community

Comeon guys really?!?

beybyexampp

You guys dont make it easy to upgrade from one version to another. Seems like you have yet again changed the directory structure. Previously, was uniserver\home\admin\www\phpmyadmin NOW its UniServer.8.1.1\home\us_phpmyadmin as an example. Whats with all the US's????

Might not seem like a big thing to you guys, but it seems i have to update the web server upgrade instructions that i pass to my team every 6 months or so. It usually takes me a day or two to narrow down all the changes, document them and get the websites up and running in the new configuration. A day which i would much better spend doing many other things.

Is it possible for you guys to make it easier for someone to upgrade? For instance, with xampp, an upgrade would (in theory) upgrade overtop, keeping all the configurations and stuff. Currently, i have to manually copy over , as an example, all the *.ini files all the .htaccess files, conf files, manually compare them to look for changes in syntax, etc... could use a more streamlined "drop in" approach.

not that i am complaining :blink:. i prefer being current even if i have to waste some time doing it.

Yes, I see your point.

The reason it was changed was....now what was that reason?

Oh well, it was Ric's decision and I didn't see any reason to complain at the time (about 8 months ago). Now I can see what you mean.

OTOH, it might be a good time to re-start the discussion on "How to update The Uniform Server," since we do want everyone to be updated with the latest security and bug fixes.

I normally lay down a new base server and then port over my apps, rather than try to copy in a new server over an older one. (I think that's clear.) The primary problem I've run into in the past is breaking a working app when PHP or MySQL changes are incompatible with the older system.

Regards,

BobS

I unpacked the newest coral 8.1.1 into the root of my server drive, and the directory is still c:/Uniserver/bla bla bla. I also thought the directory structure changed when I unpacked it onto my desktop to see what it was, and noticed the change, but it didnt do anything like that when i directly unpacked it straight into my drive root. I dunno

The general structure is essentially the same. What has changed are the branches for control (uni_con, alt_diag) and support (home\us_phpMyAdmin, us_pear, etc).

The www, user\local and others are still in their same places.

Regards,

BobS

• 2 weeks later...