The Uniform Server Community

Can not install wordpress :(

smainuddin

Hi all:

:) new to all these things. I have installed the uniserver. However can not install wordpress. I have follwed instructions line by line with no result.

I have already created a wordpress database. But when I try to go to http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php to install wordpress, it shows HTTP 404 not found. Why is this happening? What can I do to install the wordpress? any one please help!!!!

regards,

Sadat

Hi... just to clarify:

My version of uniserver is 5.5, wordpress is 3.2.1. :(

Sorry about your problems, but let's get you out of trouble.

First step: Let's start with a clean slate by deleting the 5.5-Nano copy, which is has some security holes. Then download and install a new version of The Uniform Server. We're currently at Orion-7.1.9.

Second step: Put WordPress 3.2.1 into folder www.

Third step: Start the servers. When the status page displays, go to Server Administration. Choose phpMyAdmin under Tools menu, then Databases. Create a "wordpress" database, with UTF8-general-ci collation (my suggestion; select what you need). Just below that, click on "check privileges" for the newly-created wordpress db. Go to Add a new User. Put in wpuser for user name, select "local" for host, and a put in a password like "WPuserDB923"; be sure to remember these for the next step. Note: If you're on Vista or Win7, overwrite "localhost" with 127.0.0.1 .

Fourth step: Go to http://localhost/wordpress . Since WordPress won't see a wp-config.php file, it will assume this is a new install, and start that process. Follow the directions and fill in the forms, and you'll be up and running.

Regards,

BobS

Hi, have you been successful?

I found that the default php memory limit of Uniserver is a little bit low for wordpress - you can easily set it to 128M in the PHP Configuration Screen.

Unfortunately Windows Apache seems to collapse if the memory limit is not high enough for php applications, might be a memory management problem...

However, wordpress definitely runs well with Uniserver 7.1.10, just tested it myself, no problems!

Good Luck!

Bughunter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, have you been successful?

I found that the default php memory limit of Uniserver is a little bit low for wordpress - you can easily set it to 128M in the PHP Configuration Screen.

Unfortunately Windows Apache seems to collapse if the memory limit is not high enough for php applications, might be a memory management problem...

However, wordpress definitely runs well with Uniserver 7.1.10, just tested it myself, no problems!

Good Luck!

Bughunter

I was about to post about a 403 Forbidden problem when the "Wordpress" in the title of this thread caught my eye, so I thought I'd check here first.

I installed WP with no problem and imported an old DB through phpmyadmin. Everything worked okay, so I went to phpmyadmin to export the DB to upload to the production server, but I got a 403 error when I clicked on the phpmyadmin link. Now, I can't access /apanel, either, through localhost or 127.0.0.1 -- I get the 403 forbidden error. There's nothing in http.conf to explain it, and rebooting hasn't helped.

Everything was working fine until this point, except the I get a "mysql server has gone away" error quite often for some reason.

Importing a WP DB, and installing WP, shouldn't have any effect on the server settings, should it?

Typically, you will get 403 errors from .htaccess files not being set right. In the case of apanel, the file in question is in UniServer\home\admin\www .

Since you're on Windows 7, I'll bet that if you ping localhost, you get "::1" as the address, which is an IPv6 form.

Your .htaccess should have both these lines:

Allow from 127.0.0.1

Allow from ::1

Regards,

BobS

Typically, you will get 403 errors from .htaccess files not being set right. In the case of apanel, the file in question is in UniServer\home\admin\www .

Since you're on Windows 7, I'll bet that if you ping localhost, you get "::1" as the address, which is an IPv6 form.

Your .htaccess should have both these lines:

Allow from 127.0.0.1

Allow from ::1

Hi, BobS --

When I made that change, I got a 500 error. And changing it to "Allow from all" didn't help, either.

The "just installing WP wouldn't do this, would it?" reminded me that I *did* have a similar problem several years ago -- with a different server setup -- because of the .htaccess file(s) that WP generates for certain permalinks settings. It, basically, toasted everything, and caused system-wide issues. Unfortunately, I had that "Ah HA!" moment at 5:00 this morning. ;) But at this point I'm 99% sure that WP has created an .htaccess file *somewhere* that is overriding the other ones -- I just haven't found it yet. :)

Sorry, but WordPress does NOT create .htaccess files. Since these are associated with Apache, WordPress would be in error creating them for IIS, for example. If WP needs any .htaccess changes, or permission changes, they're left as an exercise for the administrator.

Working on my Win7 system, I just did a clean install of WordPress on The Uniform Server and it went flawlessly. The KEY things I did were to be sure I had a database created for WordPress, substitute 127.0.0.1 for localhost and remember my Admin password. ;) There are NO directories within the WordPress tree that have .htaccess files.

So we still don't know what version of The Uniform Server you're using, whether it's hosting anything else, or if you have made any changes to resolve the IPv4-IPv6 difficulties with Win7. Also, you didn't mention whether or not you did the "ping localhost" and what occurred. The error 500 may be that you introduced a faulty line in the .htaccess file.

Regards,

BobS

Sorry, but WordPress does NOT create .htaccess files. Since these are associated with Apache, WordPress would be in error creating them for IIS, for example. If WP needs any .htaccess changes, or permission changes, they're left as an exercise for the administrator.

Sorry, but WordPress absolutely does generate an .htaccess file for certain permalink settings:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalink...y.22_permalinks

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalink...malink_Problems

Working on my Win7 system, I just did a clean install of WordPress on The Uniform Server and it went flawlessly. The KEY things I did were to be sure I had a database created for WordPress, substitute 127.0.0.1 for localhost and remember my Admin password. ;) There are NO directories within the WordPress tree that have .htaccess files.

Perhaps you have a setting that prevents them from being viewable. Or perhaps you haven't changed the permalink settings?

So we still don't know what version of The Uniform Server you're using, whether it's hosting anything else, or if you have made any changes to resolve the IPv4-IPv6 difficulties with Win7. Also, you didn't mention whether or not you did the "ping localhost" and what occurred. The error 500 may be that you introduced a faulty line in the .htaccess file.

I'm sorry, I didn't follow up with the version (latest), hosting (several virtual host entries), or the resolution of the IPv4-IPv6 difficulty (because there wasn't one). Everything has been running fine for months on this Windows 7 computer (using "localhost"), with the exception of the "MySQL server has gone away" error that I get occasionally for no good reason that I can think of. I restart it, and it's fine.

The problem was with the .htaccess file that was generated by WP when I changed the permalink settings. I found it in C:\ -- not in any of the Uniform Server www directories, including the one WP was installed in -- deleted it, and the problem was solved. As I mentioned earlier, I had this exact same problem several years ago, on an XP computer, and it was resolved the same way -- finding and deleting the .htaccess file that was in a place it had no business being, and that appeared after the WP permalinks settings were changed. I'm pretty sure if I had written a complicated piece of work such as that, I'd remember it. But you know, as we get older, things get away from us. :-D

I'm sure if you Google about it, you'll find other instances where it's been a problem for people. And I'm sure of that because that would have been how I found the solution to the problem the first time. :-)