The Uniform Server Community

could not connect to remote db (insecure method)

marche

I got this error when trying to connect to a remote mysql installation.

mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file

My host said it is because my libmysqlclient is outdated (still using pre-4.1 authentication). However, I need to know how I can update it? Any ideas?

I am using the 5.6.16 on my windows 7 machine.

I got this error when trying to connect to a remote mysql installation.

mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. 

My host said it is because my libmysqlclient is outdated (still using pre-4.1 authentication).

I am using the 5.6.16 on my windows 7 machine.

This is rather unclear.

Are you using Uniform Server (Apache and MySQL) both on your Win 7 machine, or are you connecting to a MySQL server on another host (and how/why)? Also, is that DB being hosted on a Linux machine, perhaps?

The advantage (and intention) of US is that it's self-contained. If you connect to a "remote mysql installation," it seems that you're going off in a new direction.

Regards,

BobS

Like BobS I am puzzled however taking the message at face value you are using an incorrect password hash length.

mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication.

The MySQL server you are trying to connect to uses old passwords with hash length of 16 characters. New passwords are 41 characters. PHP 5.3.* by default uses 41 characters see following page

http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php

What puzzles me is this response from your host:

My host said it is because my libmysqlclient is outdated (still using pre-4.1 authentication).

That’s not true when using PHP 5.3.* hence the error message displayed.

Probably worth contacting your host again!

All the best

Ric :)

Hi, I am developing a system where posts will 'sync' with another master db (in this case, the remote db). I didnt try yet built in mysql syncing (Because I will be merging several transaction tables into one master transaction table). I wanted to use PHP to update transaction tables found on the local mysql tables to a remote db. This is why I am trying to connect to the remote db.

Yes the host is hostgator and it is running on a LINUX box.

Googling that first line of error gave me this link:

C.5.2.4. Client does not support authentication protocol

Which seems to suggest that I need to update my client (which my host also said)

They said that I should run

php -v 
mysql -V 
httpd -l 

so they can help me. However I am at a loss on running console in US. I used to make my own apache+php+mysql using the default installers (and running console on that), but this is the first time I am using a WAMP (I needed the portability of US).

For those informative "console in US", just start a "Command Prompt" (cmd.exe) from either "Start | All Programs | Accessory" or "Start | Run ..." (possible with WinKey+R shortcut), then chdir to where your US installed/extracted (looking for the common 'UniServer/' folder once missed). Now it is possible to run 'UniServer/usr/local/php/php -v' or 'UniServer/usr/local/php/php -i' for PHP, 'UniServer/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -V' for MySQL, and 'UniServer/usr/local/apache2/bin/Apache -V' or 'UniServer/usr/local/apache2/bin/Apache -l' for Apache/HTTPd ...

AFAIK, Nano 5.6.16 should have already equipped with MySQL 5.1 and plugin for PHP 5.3; or you may mess up with some pre-4.1 in between ...

Hi, I am developing a system where posts will 'sync' with another master db (in this case, the remote db). I didnt try yet built in mysql syncing (Because I will be merging several transaction tables into one master transaction table). I wanted to use PHP to update transaction tables found on the local mysql tables to a remote db. This is why I am trying to connect to the remote db.

Yes the host is hostgator and it is running on a LINUX box.

Googling that first line of error gave me this link:

C.5.2.4. Client does not support authentication protocol

Which seems to suggest that I need to update my client (which my host also said)

They said that I should run

php -v 
mysql -V 
httpd -l 

so they can help me. However I am at a loss on running console in US. I used to make my own apache+php+mysql using the default installers (and running console on that), but this is the first time I am using a WAMP (I needed the portability of US).