The Uniform Server Community

Use of hosts, dns, or ports for HTA

gramps

I have been developing web applications for a while, and more recently HTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_Application) applications (delivering client/server apps running on the desktop rather than the web). UniServer is a nice clean structure for doing just that.

I have several uses for my UniServer tools. 1) I like to do most of my checkout of the web programs offline, and I like to have the exact HTML and programs in checkout that I will use online. Nothing like screwing up a CC gateway connection to make a client unhappy. So for this purpose, I modify my 'hosts' file, do the Virtual Hosts in Apache .conf file, and everything is fine.

I came across your description of PACs, which are another nice way to get my local machine and server to handle the pages with the same URL I will have online.

2) I would like to develop a small sample HTA for a client, as an illusltration of what the eventual web site will look like and operate. If I use the hosts change or PAC file, I need to modify the target machine to make things work (if I use target URLs). This is often not possible, or not a good idea for some clients.

If I use 'localhost', as your APanel does, I can set the whole application up on a memory stick, click on a couple of things, and we're running the app. Very slick.

HOWEVER, if I use the second method, I have to stick to using localhost, and the pages have to be designed to use that url. If I use a 'real' url, I have to change the client machine.

My final option is to set the virtual host config for Apache to use a port, and use that port in my urls for the app. So unless I happen to choose a port that conflicts with something else running on the client machine, I can plug in the stick, click on startup scripts, and we're off.

My question is this (and you though I'd never get to it)... since I didn't know about PACs until I read the UniServer docs, is there anything else I'm missing? That is, does another method exist to provide the url->server connection to a browser, other than:

1. Use of localhost with ports

2. Use of 'hosts' file

3. Use of PAC, telling browser where it is

4. DynDNS?

5. Other methods?

Whew.

Gramps

A plugin for 4.1 is currently in beta that will do just that.

It runs on a USB stick totally independent of the host machine.

Yep and you will be able to use real urls.

I would say its about two weeks away.

All the best

Ric :unsure:

A plugin for 4.1 is currently in beta that will do just that.

It runs on a USB stick totally independent of the host machine.

Yep and you will be able to use real urls.

I would say its about two weeks away.

All the best

Ric :unsure:

Thanks much. Can't wait to see it.

Gramps