The Uniform Server Community

It Works It doesn't Work between Vista and XP

Martee

New to this and must say so far it has much possiblities, good stuff.. Now that said I am using 4.0 on a flash drive.

Problem is that it works to start the servers on Vista, then on XP it doesn't.

Did install it on XP and it works. Took another flash drive and installed it of XP and all is wonderful. Took that flash drive to Vista, okay works. Then when I went back to XP it doesn't work.

I really want a transportable server, especailly since my first attempt and getting to it externally didn't work, but that is for another day.

Look but haven't really found anything to give me an idea of which direction to go.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

HI - could you be more specific (e. g. I did "x" and then I did "xx" - I was expecting "y" but "z" happened instead and I got this error message...) - "works" and "doesn't work" doesn't give any kind of usable information to work with - thanks megan

New to this and must say so far it has much possiblities, good stuff.. Now that said I am using 4.0 on a flash drive.

Problem is that it works to start the servers on Vista, then on XP it doesn't.

Did install it on XP and it works. Took another flash drive and installed it of XP and all is wonderful. Took that flash drive to Vista, okay works. Then when I went back to XP it doesn't work.

I really want a transportable server, especailly since my first attempt and getting to it externally didn't work, but that is for another day.

Look but haven't really found anything to give me an idea of which direction to go.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

HI - could you be more specific (e. g. I did "x" and then I did "xx" - I was expecting "y" but "z" happened instead and I got this error message...) - "works" and "doesn't work" doesn't give any kind of usable information to work with - thanks megan

This might be a bit long, I'll try to make it clear..(My Bad before)

1. Downloaded and Installed on Vista.

2. All was good

3. Move it over to the USB memory Stick

4. All was good.

5. Took USB memory Stick to XP

6. No Joy...

7. Took USB memory Stick back to Vista

8. There is Joy...

Next

1. Downloaded and Installed on XP

2. All is good.

3. Move it over to USB Memory Stick

4. All is good

5. Took USB Memory Stick to Vista

6. All is good

7. Took USB Memory Stick to XP again

8. No Joy

Now When I installed, I did such as not to need the virtual Drive (move everything recommended up to root level) Oh, all movement were done after safe shutdown of USB.

Maybe Vista does something, can't imagine what that causes it not like XP. Given that thought, I did the following:

1. Downloaded and Installed on XP

2. All is good.

3. Move it over to USB Memory Stick

4. All is good

5. Removed USB (safe removal after shut down)

6. Powered Down XP, did some other stuff (checked mail, etc.)

7. Installed USB

8 Can't start up Apache Server...

I wanted to use the UNICONTROLLER, but decided after the first false result, stayed with the USB_Server_Start/Stop.

Oh the error message, just that it hangs trying to install Apache server. based on code it appears it is timing out but I could be wrong. Status show up in command window. It just hangs, nothing following the message starting server. If I use the UNIController and do test it says syntax error line 197 of httpd.conf.

I have the feeling I am missing something very basic...

Not sure this has anything to do with the problem I am having, but on the Vista install (only one I am curently using I have run into two other issues

a. When setting up the SSL which seems easy enough, I get the warning on IE7 that the certificate error when it is not recognized as valid

b. When trying to access the server from the external using the url (http://martee.endofinternet.net) I come up blank. (This may be a security set up issue, haven't looked at yet)

Sorry if the last was just noise on the initial problem.

Hope this clears up my initial muddle..