The Uniform Server Community

Can't locate 'localhost' nor '127.0.0.1'

Len Jacobson

I have been using Uniform Server successfully for about one year. It's loaded on my Windows Vista laptop. It works perfectly.

Recently, I had the need to install it on my Windows XP Pro system. I can't get it to start up.

In the 'Server_Start.bat' line that brings up 'redirect.html', I see the the blue Uniform Server logo page perfectly. But after one second, when it tries to refresh with 'http://localhost/apanel', I get the '404' error that the page wasn't found.

By modifying the 'Server_Start.bat' file so that it stops just after the 'redirect.html' line, I see that if I enter the URL 'http://localhost/apanel' into the browser, it can't find it. And if I enter, instead, 'http://127.0.0.1/apanel', it can't find it, either.

The "w:\" drive appears to be alive and well. But for whatever reason, 'localhost' and '127.0.0.1' are not found.

Facts:

(1) Windows XP Pro

(2) Have Norton Internet Security on the machine. Turned off all its protection, but that didn't help.

(3) I tried using the 'hosts' file from my Windows Vista system (where Uniform Server is working fine), but that didn't help.

(4) I tried a few things I saw in this forum -- still doesn't recognize 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1'

Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions.

Len. did you work out a solution?

I have the same problem on either Vista or XP. My Uniserver is on an external hard drive, and was working fine.

Went to use it today, and I get the same error. I even reinstalled Zone Alarm to see if that was the problem.

Look forward to any suggestions. Did the netstat thing - and can't see anything using port 80.

Is IIS installed on this machine?

I am SO sorry that I am not responding to this note until now. Please accept my apologies!!

Before resorting to this forum, I did a Google search on the Internet and read that IIS must be installed. So I installed it. It didn't help. Then, when I turned to this forum, I saw entry after entry that said to NOT install IIS. So I removed it.

The problem persists.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Len. did you work out a solution?

I have the same problem on either Vista or XP. My Uniserver is on an external hard drive, and was working fine.

Went to use it today, and I get the same error. I even reinstalled Zone Alarm to see if that was the problem.

Look forward to any suggestions. Did the netstat thing - and can't see anything using port 80.

A friend has suggested totally removing Norton Internet Security, assuming that even though I turned it off it could still be interfering with Uniform Server. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to do that.

So I am still stuck.