The Uniform Server Community

Domain pointing to server via Nameserver

kalpz

Hi, I have domain name where I have registered my static ip as a nameserver.. for example:

ns3.mydomain.com > myIP

ns4.mydomain.com > myIP

I know same IP can be used for both nameservers.. as it requires 2 nameservers to work.

Anyway, I have US running and I want to point my domain to my server via nameserver. Is there a way we can do this?

When set my domain to point to my server via A record, it works. When I change back to nameserver, it doesn't.

Any idea's?

ATOMIC Web Hosting 2007 - 2011

Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Virtual Private Servers (Request Dedicated/VPS Servers via E-mail)

E-mail: sales@atomicwebhosting.com Website: http://www.atomicwebhosting.com/

Hey

Sorry :)

You know when you have a domain name.. well for it to work with a web hoster they give you nameservers. So say I have domain: abc.com. Hosting company gives me 2 nameservers.. ns1/ns2.hosting.com (hosting.com being the hoster). Those 2 nameservers point to the hosting server. So the domain can be resolved and then display my site.

I want a domain pointed to my home server thats running US.

I don't want to use an A record...

Hope that makes sense :)

Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Virtual Private Servers (Request Dedicated/VPS Servers via E-mail)

Yep I have just engaged brain. I will explain it in a general sense.

1) To put your servers on-line a unique IP address is required allowing other Internet users to access your server. Note every Internet user is assigned a unique IP address and it’s your service provider’s responsibility to issue this unique IP address (well that’s what you pay your money for). They come in two flavours dynamic and static.

a) Dynamic IP: Will invariably be different every time you connect. To run a server requires additional software on your machine to track this change and update your new IP address at a dynamic domain name hosting company such as DynDns.

:) Static IP: Once allocated by your service provider they do not change, for this privilege you are normally charge extra. However anyone can store this number and access your servers. All you require is this number (IP address) to have a presence on the Internet. In reality machines use these numbers for communication.

2) The above is not ideal for human interfacing or communication hence the largest database in the world was created and overlaid onto the Internet infrastructure and known as the domain name system.

Its sole task is to take easily remembered! Names and translate them into IP address allowing machines to communicate. Each unique name has a corresponding unique IP address. To obtain a name (domain name) you need to register with a domain name registrar, who will issue you with something like mr_smith.com after parting with more cash.

3) Well you now have a name (domain name) and number (IP address) not very useful they need to be placed in the database (domain name system) where they can be looked up and used by anyone on the Internet. This is achieved using dedicated name servers, which hold name-address pairs. Your name-address pair must appear in two of these servers as a minimum.

4) You can run your own name servers, a minimum of two are required and must be physically separate (different locations). Most domain registrars as part of their service provide you with an option to use their name servers, take this option just makes life easier.

5) You need to login to your registrar’s account and locate a control panel allowing you to set-up or change records in the name servers.

You must set what is named the “A” record as a minimum this maps your domain name to your IP address.

bogus.com. IN A 12.34.56.789

In addition you can also add CNAMES (sub-domain) create as many as required for example.

www.bogus.com. IN CNAME bogus.com. ;web server

You may also wish to set an MX record see link below.

These records can be changed at any time and the database will update accordingly. Remember one very important thing the domain name system is worldwide comprising of many servers and it can take hours for your changes to propagate through the system. (In rare cases days)

The following page provides additional information and worth a read:

http://center.uniformserver.com/mail_server_2/mx_dns_7.html

To answer your question “I don't want to use an A record...” you need an “A” record it’s a minimum requirement for the domain name system.

The only alternative is to use the IP address (section 1) no “A” record is required!

Just wondering what type of application do you have in mind?

All the best

Ric :)

Wow! Well, I run my own hosting company :) and wanting to setup a server at home for backup. So if my server is down.. ns3/ns4.domain.com will take over (my server at home).. ns1/ns2.domain.com points to my hosting server. Hence why I don't want to use an A record.

FYI: I have a static IP at home.

Example:

You'll see my hosting site.. from hosting server. (ns1/ns2 points to hosting server IP)

Server goes down..no site

[if I had my server setup as backup] (ns3/ns4 - I want these pointing to my home IP)

When server goes down, people can still see our site.. (My aim is to let my clients check announcements and updates etc) using same domain name

My server at home needs a DNS server and was hoping for information about this and also how to set it up.

Yep I understand, you want a fallback similar to MX records. To be honest that’s way out of my league. I think what you are after is something like a fallback proxy DNS server. Sounds impressive but search the Internet for fallback it may come up with something that matches your requirements. :)

I wont ramble on because I feel the hole I am digging is getting deeper. :)

All the best

Ric :)