The Uniform Server Community

Confused Newbie

WillB

I have successfully installed Uniform Server 3.5 on a Windows XP computer. My purpose in using it is to test and design a site to be later uploaded to a web host. Actually this site is already working on a webhost but I want to work on it locally. Unifrom Server will not be a live server. This is all new to me and I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge so please be patient. I have put all of my website files in the www folder. I have an index.php file and I assumed that by clicking on it that it would just open up but this is not the case. If I type in the address bar http://localhost/index.php/ it opens but only displays a message at the top saying Error: TNG is not communicating with your database. Please check your database settings and try again. At this point I am lost and have no idea how to proceed. I have tried to find some type of new user guide but can't really find anything. There was a step by step guide for install which was good.

I have read your post several times; you seem to have a working system. All your web files are in folder www and the index page is accessible via a browser http://localhost/index.php/ ) this indicates UniServer is working correctly.

The error message is telling you that there is no database installed, is this database provided by your web host or did you install it as a package?

The question I am really asking, what package are you running on your webhost, knowing that we can point you in the right direction.

All the best

Ric :lol:

I have read your post several times; you seem to have a working system. All your web files are in folder www and the index page is accessible via a browser http://localhost/index.php/ ) this indicates UniServer is working correctly.

The error message is telling you that there is no database installed, is this database provided by your web host or did you install it as a package?

The question I am really asking, what package are you running on your webhost, knowing that we can point you in the right direction.

All the best

I also believe Uniserver is working properly. I just don't understand it yet. For my hosted site I use Lunar pages. On that site I added TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy sitebuilding) to my public folder. It is this genealogy sitebuilding that I wanted to work with off line. Here is a quote from their website: "The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding© ("TNG") is a powerful way to manage and display your genealogy data on the Internet, all without generating a single page of HTML. Instead, your information is stored in MySQL database tables and dynamically displayed in attractive fashion with PHP (a scripting language)." All I had to do to get things working on my hosted site was to download a zip file from TNG and upload all the files to my site. Once that was done I opened a read me file for setting up their program. It even had areas within the readme document that I could click on and it would automatically set file permissions and a few other things. I did have to create a MySQL database name and password on my site. Now with Uniserver I tried to replicate the steps I took with my web hosted site. When I open the read me file and I try to have it automatically set file permissions or any of the other steps it doesn't work. I also tried to setup a new MySQL database in Uniserver the same as I had on my webhost. I hope this information helps you some.

Thanks

I have checked the website and see no reason why it should not run on UniServer.

I could not find any information for installation however there is a detailed read me file that should provide these details (well that’s what the site says!).

In general most installations have an install.php file that you run. If this is the case start your servers and type the following into your browser:

http://localhost/install.php

A form will be displayed with a number of boxes requiring specific information for the installation. For example:

Server name: localhost

When it comes to the database

Host: localhost

Username: root

Password: root

Database: (use whatever they recommend) *see note 1

You will have an admin section

Username: (choose whatever you like)

Password: (choose whatever you like)

Note 1: UniServer does not prevent the software creating a database however if you need to create this manually use the admin panel:

Type into your browser http://localhost/apanel/

Click on phpMyAdmin (left menu first entry under tools)

When phpMyAmin is displayed type into create new database box the name of the database you want to use and click the create button. Run the install.php file again.

If you think the database has been created use the drop down menu (phpMyAdmin located on the left) to see if there is an entry.

That’s the general idea, without seeing the installation instruction it’s a bit difficult to be more specific.

All the best