The Uniform Server Community

Win98SE and 3.5-apollo

alanr

I've installed v3.5 (from the .exe) on my win98SE system but I just can't get it to work properly. First, I had to modify config.sys to increase the environment space. Second, the following code in config.inc.php caused an invalid path (/home/home/...)

$drive = $_ENV['Disk'] . ":";

if($drive == ":"){

$path = realpath(dirname($_SERVER['config.inc.php']));

$pathArray = explode("\\",$path);

$drive="$pathArray[0]/$pathArray[1]";

}

requiring the manual insertion of

$drive = "W:";

to get \home\admin\www\index.php to work properly. Then, mySQL refuses to start up, in spite of the "MySQL server started." response from the "Run MySQL" link in apanel.

There are two occurences of apache and one of uniserver in Task Manager.

(Also, creating this message caused no end of problems for Firefox, with keypresses doing strange things, being unable to insert, etc.)

I love the idea of a complete suite of web apps, but it definitely does NOT run out of the box under Win98.

- Alan

Actually it does. We used to have problems with Win98 but those are solved and the only remaining error is the environmental space error you mentioned.

The rest of the problems could be due to settings on your system or something...

If this does not work on your system:

}

Then there is a big problem cause thats a PHP code and it should definately work... K, even if the environmental variable is not set.... the other snippet should be able to get the location....

In the admin panel, under tools i believe, look for PHP Info... Click it and scroll down to the ENV part and look for ENV[Disk]

For MySQL, have you ever installed a single installation of MySQL on this PC? or is another program using port 3306? make sure LIBMYSQL.DLL is not found in the C:/Windows or C:/Windows/System32 folder....

Actually it does. We used to have problems with Win98 but those are solved and the only remaining error is the environmental space error you mentioned.

The rest of the problems could be due to settings on your system or something...

If this does not work on your system:

}

Then there is a big problem cause thats a PHP code and it should definately work... K, even if the environmental variable is not set.... the other snippet should be able to get the location....

In the admin panel, under tools i believe, look for PHP Info... Click it and scroll down to the ENV part and look for ENV[Disk]

For MySQL, have you ever installed a single installation of MySQL on this PC? or is another program using port 3306? make sure LIBMYSQL.DLL is not found in the C:/Windows or C:/Windows/System32 folder....

Changing 'Disk' to 'DISK' fixes the problem in the php code. And the other snippet definitely doesn't work on my system, with some of the resulting paths looking like w:/home/home/...

No, MySQL has not been installed on my system since I did an OS reinstall last month. Previously, I had managed to get separate Apache/PHP/MySQL/Perl installations to play together, but currently that DLL only exists in D:\Web\Uniform Server\udrive\usr\local\php.

Note also that my system seems to start misbehaving while Uniform Server is running; pressing the tab key in an editor causes focus to move to another window, the Back button in Firefox results in a "Save As..." dialogue window, entering text while editing this reply just stopped doing anything, etc. Obviously there is a major incompatibility between the Uniform Server and my system, and it's probably not worthwhile for either of us to work too hard to get this to work.

Thanks for your assistance.

- Alan

Changing 'Disk' to 'DISK' fixes the problem in the php code. And the other snippet definitely doesn't work on my system, with some of the resulting paths looking like w:/home/home/...

MS-DOS parameters/qualifiers are not case sensitive however variable names are always case sensitive hence I am not sure how that could fix your problem. The Disk variable originates from the Server_Start.bat file and is passed onto the PHP file.

No, MySQL has not been installed on my system since I did an OS reinstall last month. Previously, I had managed to get separate Apache/PHP/MySQL/Perl installations to play together, but currently that DLL only exists in D:\Web\Uniform Server\udrive\usr\local\php.

The word reinstall concerns me! Reformat hard disk and then install is clean, reinstall I think will pick up dross that was already there.

Note also that my system seems to start misbehaving while Uniform Server is running; pressing the tab key in an editor causes focus to move to another window, the Back button in Firefox results in a "Save As..."

This is a classic path I have been down, blaming the wrong culprit. You could try increasing the environment space as suggested say:

SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:8192 /P

that’s big for a clean install.

I am almost sure that is not the real problem; it could be a memory size problem! :D

Ric

MS-DOS parameters/qualifiers are not case sensitive however variable names are always case sensitive hence I am not sure how that could fix your problem. The Disk variable originates from the Server_Start.bat file and is passed onto the PHP file.

The word reinstall concerns me! Reformat hard disk and then install is clean, reinstall I think will pick up dross that was already there.

This is a classic path I have been down, blaming the wrong culprit. You could try increasing the environment space as suggested say:

SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:8192 /P

that’s big for a clean install.

I am almost sure that is not the real problem; it could be a memory size problem! :D

Ric

In this case, reinstall means I repartitioned and reformatted the drive before installing Win98SE.

And the environment is already at 30000, just in case :-)

And the environment variables on my system seem to be upper case; set aaa = aaa results in AAA = aaa, as show by the set command. My old MS-DOS 3.20 manual says that this is the way it was...

- Alan

Thats what i am thinking too.. that it has to do with the memory since he says the PC messes up atime in other parts by doing funny stuffs....