The Uniform Server Community

custom install of uniserver

microbe

I have created a PHP/mySQL application for use by non-geeks at Australian volunteer bushfire brigades (www.FireShed.com)

This is going to be used on un-networked computers and after a bit of research Uniform Server looks like just what I am after. Correct me if I am wrong, but it includes the web server, PHP and mySQL as part of the package.

I want to make the install as easy and transparent as possible for users and am going to create a package using inno installer. What I want is to be able to set defaults for the server so they don’t have to do any setting up at all, I will do it for them as part of the install.

Is that possible? IF so…where do I find those values to tweak.

This looks like a great piece of software and I really hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance

Looks like you have to go learn about webservers... Everything is already set unless there is something else you are trying to change... :lol:

Actually, I learned what to myself, which I actually prefer. But you are wrong...the problems weren't mine.

For a start, the mySQL password didn't work on a clean install (despite trying several times) so I couldn't get into phpmysqladmin. I ended up having to get in via SQLyog and resetting the password and permissions on databases. Others are going to have to work that out for themselves I am afraid. If you can't...you likely shouldn't be messing with this stuff.

What I wanted to do, but maybe it wasn't so clear was to make an install program that would install the server and the website and make it all run with nothing else to do for the inexperienced user.

Since the support is more derisive here than "supportive" here is the answer for others.

Install uniserver. It is actually a fabulous piece of software. It does include mySQL and PHP and a webserver all rolled into one package.

You will need to edit the server-start.bat batch file to include the line

start \usr\local\mysql\bin\mysqld-opt.exe --defaults-file=/usr/local/mysql/bin/my-small.cnf

just above the line that says "echo The server is working on the disk". This will start mySQL as part of the batch file instead of having do do it manually from the panel. Perhaps this could be a rem'd line in the original batch file to make it easier for others.

I also wanted the webserver to start in the home page of the app rather than the admin panel so changed the line "set apanel=\home\admin\www\apanel" to read "set apanel=\home\admin\www\". A comment in the original batch file wouldn't go astray.

Since uniserver doesn't need to actually install under windows you can then drop your website into the www directory and package the whole thing. It is straightforward and works well.

I am still having a few teething problems getting it to work properly from a shortcut using inno installer (another wonderful open source prog)...but I will nut those out.

As for any other info...doesn't seem like I will get it here...sigh...

Hope I have been of some help to others.

I am not sure of your real problems; it’s the first time I have looked at this post. What I see is you are doing an excellent job. Hack UniServer around that’s great, had a quick scan of INNO will do what you want. Have you taken a look at UniTray

http://center.uniformserver.com/unitray/un..._install_1.html

Tailor this to your users I think that would be useful.

This surprised me

For a start, the mySQL password didn't work on a clean install (despite trying several times) so I couldn't get into phpmysqladmin.

That rings alarm bells, a clean install works, assuming no other conflicts with port 80.

I personally would be worried if I could not get the default installation to run on my machine and then expect others to when using INNO, all you are doing is exporting the problem.

I recently received a message from my ISP not to use VISTA for the time being because there are problems and they could not guarantee my service or email.

Hence I look at this:

I want to make the install as easy and transparent as possible for users and am going to create a package using inno installer. What I want is to be able to set defaults for the server so they don’t have to do any setting up at all, I will do it for them as part of the install.

That’s the problem; what will they be running on, if it matches your machine perfectly they will have no problems.

Well sorry to be negative but in general XP Home no problems, XP pro expect conflicts with IIS, Vista well to me a little unknown expect few problem with the versions with no server, as the that extra dosh expect problems at the higher end.

:lol:

I am not sure of your real problems; it’s the first time I have looked at this post. What I see is you are doing an excellent job. Hack UniServer around that’s great, had a quick scan of INNO will do what you want. Have you taken a look at UniTray

http://center.uniformserver.com/unitray/un..._install_1.html

Tailor this to your users I think that would be useful.

This surprised me

That rings alarm bells, a clean install works, assuming no other conflicts with port 80.

I personally would be worried if I could not get the default installation to run on my machine and then expect others to when using INNO, all you are doing is exporting the problem.

I recently received a message from my ISP not to use VISTA for the time being because there are problems and they could not guarantee my service or email.

Hence I look at this:

That’s the problem; what will they be running on, if it matches your machine perfectly they will have no problems.

Well sorry to be negative but in general XP Home no problems, XP pro expect conflicts with IIS, Vista well to me a little unknown expect few problem with the versions with no server, as the that extra dosh expect problems at the higher end.

:lol:

Thanks Ric,

I am going to try to write the installer so that if IIS is installed, uniserver isn't needed - but I do agree that it is an issue that has to be addressed. Though to be honest, most of the people who will be using this are pretty un-geeky so IMHO it is pretty unlikely IIS will be there, given that it has to be intentionally installed.

I also doubt anyone will be running Vista...they are all fairly cash-poor volunteer groups...even the machines will be a little dated.

I can't explain the mySQL problem. I already have mySQL installed on my machine but had stopped the service prior to installing uniserver. I can only report what happened.

However...having just tested it again while writing this post, a new install of uniserver worked perfectly so I am not sure what happened at the time. Perhaps it was a code ID10T and I hadn't stopped mySQL after all...can't really answer...sigh

Thanks for your comprehensive answer...genuinely appreciated

Yep, from what you have just said I think you are in the right direction. I wish you all the best with the project. If you do get stuck, please feel free to come back, some one will do their best to help.

All the best :lol: