The Uniform Server Community

Rotatelogs

briosky

I cannot use rotaletelogs.

Path to executable file is OK

Path to log file is OK

Server starts but cannot write into the log.

It turned out the uniserver at runtime changes the attributes (read-only) for /usr/local/apache2/logs folder.

Stop the server, clear the attibute, start the server. Again.

Drives me nuts.

accept any idea, and cheesecake too

"There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence." ~~ Jeremy S. Anderson

Fresh News - brionews.com <-- self-promotion :-p

I apologise I do not know the program “rotaletelogs.” However US does not set any file attributes on the files in the apache2 folder.

I am at a loss on this one, what is this program, what OS are you running on any other info would help.

If you are trying to access externally via the Internet to your server at this location you cannot because of the tight production controls.

PS I do like cheesecake and would like to help

:)

thanx dude

OS is XP sp2 with all the bitch-patch-botch

rotatelogs is in /usr/local/apache2/bin - it's an apache program to avoid situation like this:

- I use monthly access log. This month my log line is:

CustomLog logs/access.2007.03.log combined;

or one can set an interval like 86400 (every 24 hr); or 5MB, and so on.

In my case every midnite of every month I must be at the console to:

a. prepare an empty file for the new month

b. stop the server

c. change the conf

d. start the server

While with rotatelogs, the output of apache log is piped to it,

in the conf I can write something like:

CustomLog "|rotatelogs logs/access.%Y.%m.log" combined

and it does the job for me.

Very useful, for instance, to miss not the New Year party.

Now my problem is: I set the /logs folder with no flags, every body can write in it.

When the server starts, the folder becomes "read-only".

The DOS Server_Start.bat window starts and dies continuously (flashing)

and Apanel does not show up.

This makes me sad, willing to quit programming and open a pizza shop.

At least I could bake my own cheesecake.

"There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence." ~~ Jeremy S. Anderson

you mean in xp? admin

readonly.png

that box "read-only" is not checked before i launch the server :)

however it could depend on apache side

thanx

Neither Uniform Server nor Apache has the right to chnage Windows Permission, it must be something else like your firewall or antivirus software.... It is trying to protect the folder, thats why it turns it into read-only so nothing will write to it... most likely a firewall. What do you use?

I never heard of that but I could be wrong.

However I use Jetico Personal Firewall v. 1.0.1.61 - the last freeware version. I love it because it gives me control even on the flags of the TCP packets.

Today I also changed permission for the whole folder /logs.

Right click on the folder, choose Properties | Security.

Not too much to change, just...

(1 hour later)

Hm how amazing.

I stopped the server, unchecked the read-only box, reopened the folder property and it was checked again. So it does not depend for sure from the server.

I continued experimenting. Unchecked the read-only, climbing all the branches, every time setting off the box and soon after re-checking if the box was checked, and it was! Until I reached the root of the partition.

Zac! Again! It turned out that partition is a network mapped drive, so that I can access that drive from another machine.

Hm, I changed owner and given permission to everybody.

Nothing. Uniserver did not start. Neither by cash.

Now, inasmuch my mom made a smart guy, in the Server_Start.bat around line 23, after:

set closeit=%programit%close.bat %Disk%

I added:

attrib -R "d:\Uniform Server\diskw\usr\local\apache2\logs"

Hum, nothing, no sensible change.

So I changed tactics. If it does not depends from the permission, from what ?

I began tweaking the apache conf.

I changed the log line

CustomLog "|rotatelogs logs/access.%Y.%m.log" combined

to:

CustomLog "|rotatelogs.exe logs/access.%Y.%m.log" combined

Bam! It worked. The bastard needed the extension .exe appended to rotatelogs. Which is weird by the way.

So, considered it was working, I changed rotatelogs with cronolog, which is more flexible. Highly recommended.

Now it did not work again! @#%$£&

Only problem, who knows why, cronolog requires the whole path.

So now the line in conf is:

CustomLog "|w:/usr/local/apache2/bin/cronolog.exe w:/usr/local/apache2/logs/access.%Y.%m.log" combined

and everybody is happy.

Of course cronolog can be copied in any folder.

The only problem now there is the Dos box left open, and in task manager there are TWO instances of cronolog. But it works... After 2 years I can have my New Year party! yoo-hoo

So perhaps we can consider this thread closed.

But if any one else is experimenting with the same stuff, and finds something useful, please let me know.

P.S.

Hey Olajide I cannot pronounce that, do you mind if I call you Olaf or something? Nice to meet you. My name is Vince. Good job with this server. 4-5 days ago I also have sent you an email from your blog (offering server space, beta testing, development of anything you don't have time, and so on). I got an error from the page, couldn't post or something, did you get it?

No i didn't. I think it has a problem since i upgrade it to Wordpress 2.1.X. Look into it when remodeling the whole site.

Anyways, u can send it here: olajideolaolorun {a-t} gmail.com

No, you cant call me Olaf... lol.. not even close, but you can call me Ola. Some poeple pronounce it as Hola as in Hello in Spanish... but it does not really mean that in my language.

Thanks also... :) Saw your site, nice.. are they feed?

ok cronolog is working wonderfully; the /log folder attribute is still read-only but it works... I think it happens for the folder is on a network mapped unit

ok Ola sounds good, is it Norwegian or sumtin ?

I tried again to post an answer on the (January 1st, 2007) blog, this time it worked

I love wordpress, didnt have time yet to test

I am finishing to install phpBB, but I love this Invision BB, hm their website says $149, well, no way

ok I wrote down your email

yeah they are rss feeds on my site, parsed in php and formatted in css. All the site, included the rollover menu, is in css, no java-shit whoops I meant java-script, a tongue slip. Server runs on amd 1600 w/ 1gb in the kitchen and hosts also the ftp server. while mail server and time server are on my box here in the bedroom, amd 1800 w/ 1gb. Both host also a chat server. Both on windoze, strangely enough they doesn't crash :)

Till now there are about 300 sources. but I am sick and tired to manually code the pages. Not to mention many sites die continuously so I need sumtin quick to update. so I am projecting a sql db to store the links, and just stuff the sql query in php in the page

Problem is I am busy not only with school, homework and shit; all the network is undergoing a major redesign: my router is a piece of crap and sucks (it costed just $65), so I have stuffed another network cards into an old amd 450, increased its memory from 128 to 384 mb, installed bsd, and building a router/gateway/firewall. just to keep over-busy my neurons

:)... thats a lot of stuff... do you work? i remember when i used to do all that.. can't now... too busy with school and damn work... more like a slave even cause i bearly have time to do anything, go to the movies or out... sucks :( But trying... After i get that new PC though i will MAKE time... believe me. I dont even care... :)

And yeah... damn IPB! They suck... The promise when they first came out was to be free.