The Uniform Server Community

Perl only parses in the command prompt

lvlr

I can get Perl.exe to Parse only while I am running from the command promt ('DOS' prompt) If i try to load a Perl file from my webserver Like LocalHost\PerlTest.pl my broswer always say file not found? What's up with that...I admit I'm new and probably doing something stupid but please help me anyway.

Make sure the perl file is in W:/cgi-bin, then access it by going to http://localhost/cgi-bin/name.ext

If you place it in the W:/www/, try http://losthost/name.ext, but it might not work sometimes in there... it should definately in the cgi-bin though.

• 1 month later...

Olajide: shouldn't CGI scripts work in W:\www\ if he is using the default .htaccess, which has

AddHandler cgi-script .pl .cgi
Options +ExecCGI

in them?

On the other hand, the only cgi-script AddHandler in httpd.conf is commented and I don't think it is enabled specifically for cgi-bin as I don't see it in the directive for cgi-bin and there is no .htaccess in cgi-bin.

Hmmm.. is this (cgi-bin doesn't have AddHandler cgi-script uncommented by default) a problem that no one has found or am I missing something?

I was wrong once, but I think uncommenting "AddHandler cgi-script .cgi" would work if the default section or the doc root section include an "AllowOverriede All" or "AllowOverride Options" directive.

This config file seems to use more administrative oriented scriptalias directives:

# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# documents in the realname directory are treated as applications and
# run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the client.
# The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives as to
# Alias.

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/cgi-bin/"

# "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.

<Directory "/cgi-bin">
 AllowOverride All
 Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/admin/www/cgi-bin">
 AllowOverride All
 Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

Ok, sorry for all that nonsense.

I take back what I said.

Now I know that "ScriptAlias" does the same thing as "AddHandler cgi-script .pl .cgi", thanks for telling me :)