The Uniform Server Community

Uniform Server Redistribution

dimo414

Hey, I've been using Uniform Server to develop a tool I'll be releasing soon, and I had a thought that it might be really nice to release it preinstalled and configured on The Uniform Server, but I wanted to make sure that was ok with the license. Credit will of course be given, but sometimes people still don't like it.

In addition, I would love to hear thoughts on best practices for distributing configured versions of Uniform Server - most notably the mysql user - is there any way to create a different mysql user/password combination per download? I would imagine that's difficult, but I figured I'd ask.

Post any other distribution tips you may have!

Hey, I've been using Uniform Server to develop a tool I'll be releasing soon, and I had a thought that it might be really nice to release it preinstalled and configured on The Uniform Server, but I wanted to make sure that was ok with the license. Credit will of course be given, but sometimes people still don't like it.

Take a look at this post:

http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?showtopic=1279

So long as the LICENSE stays, and CREDIT is given, that fulfills the redistribution requirement.

Although it would be nice there is no need to display credits on screen, include the license with your documentation and any credits as appropriate within your documentation.

In addition, I would love to hear thoughts on best practices for distributing configured versions of Uniform Server

My personal preference is to use a self-extracting archive such as 7Z however users tend not to like exe files hence they prefer a zip file.

Is there any way to create a different mysql user/password combination per download? I would imagine that's difficult, but I figured I'd ask.

A little tricky but not impossible, you could write a script to update the password when the server is first run. Randomly generate a password, up date the password file and restore password script. When a user starts the server it waits for MySQL to start, runs the password restore script and restarts the servers. Use some form of tracker so it only runs once.

Hope the above provides a few pointer.

All the best

Ric :)