The Uniform Server Community

Unable to start...

danab

I have downloaded the uniform server and tried to run it on my XP Pro SP2 machine.

For some reason when I run the Server_Start.bat file, the console will open, and then close, a browser window will open with the uniform server logo and then redirect to a page not found.

I think this is related to a port issue. I closed any program that may be using port 80 (INCLUDING SKYPE) and that did not help.

Then I tried changing the config file of Apache to listen to port 8080 – which did do the trick and Apache ran fine.

Not sure why this worked if no other program was grabbing port 80.

My problem then was that when trying to start MySql, I was getting warnings that the host was not localhost but rather loaclhost:8080 (which was intended on my part) preventing me from using MySql.

Is there a way to get it to run on port 8080?

Maybe I should solve the original problem preventing me from using the server with port 80?

I looked in the forums and couldn’t find a solution to my problem.

I checked for the existence of the MySql file that was mentioned in some of the posts on my system and it does not exists.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Daniel Abraham.

Hi - from what you describe, it seems like "something" is running on port 80 even if you closed down everything you know of - did you try opening the Command Prompt window and checking to see if something was running on port 80? I think the code is: netstat -an | find /I "LISTENING" | find ":80"

for more info on netstt go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...t.mspx?mfr=true

the mysql config file (that I know of) is in diskw\usr\local\mysql\bin\my-small.cnf is this the one you can't find there??? in it you will see that the port used is 3306 - you say you get warnings - what kind of warnings? are they windows warnings? myphpadmin warnings???

thanks megan (not an expert but willing to help)

I have downloaded the uniform server and tried to run it on my XP Pro SP2 machine.

For some reason when I run the Server_Start.bat file, the console will open, and then close, a browser window will open with the uniform server logo and then redirect to a page not found.

I think this is related to a port issue. I closed any program that may be using port 80 (INCLUDING SKYPE) and that did not help.

Then I tried changing the config file of Apache to listen to port 8080 – which did do the trick and Apache ran fine.

Not sure why this worked if no other program was grabbing port 80.

My problem then was that when trying to start MySql, I was getting warnings that the host was not localhost but rather loaclhost:8080 (which was intended on my part) preventing me from using MySql.

Is there a way to get it to run on port 8080?

Maybe I should solve the original problem preventing me from using the server with port 80?

I looked in the forums and couldn’t find a solution to my problem.

I checked for the existence of the MySql file that was mentioned in some of the posts on my system and it does not exists.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Daniel Abraham.

Hi - from what you describe, it seems like "something" is running on port 80 even if you closed down everything you know of - did you try opening the Command Prompt window and checking to see if something was running on port 80? I think the code is: netstat -an | find /I "LISTENING" | find ":80"

for more info on netstt go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...t.mspx?mfr=true

the mysql config file (that I know of) is in diskw\usr\local\mysql\bin\my-small.cnf is this the one you can't find there??? in it you will see that the port used is 3306 - you say you get warnings - what kind of warnings? are they windows warnings? myphpadmin warnings???

thanks megan (not an expert but willing to help)

Thanks Megan,

I ran the command you suggested and I got:

TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

Not sure what this means - is a program using this port?

As for MySQL - I did not make myself clear.

What I meant was that I looked around in some of the similar posts in the Forum and a lot of the

times, the expert suggested to look for a file LIBMYSQL.DLL and delete it.

I just wanted to preempt that answer by saying such a file doesn't exist on my system.

As for the warnings, I got them after I changed the Apache config file to listen to 8080 instead of 80.

I tried to go into the PHP and MySql control panel via the Uniform Server page (in the http://localhost/apanel/) that's when I got the warnings.

Any idea how to:

Solve the port 80 problem

or

Get rid of the warnings after I change to port 8080?

Thanks

Danny.

The error you get about the hostname, its from Admin Panel right?

If it is, edit /diskw/home/admin/www/cgi-bin/{lang folder}/secure.pm and follow the direction about how to stop the host security checkpoint.

About the port 80 problem, i think you have IIS running... Microsoft's Server that comes with all version of Windows... You have to uninstall it.... I think that's whats using port 80.

The error you get about the hostname, its from Admin Panel right?

If it is, edit /diskw/home/admin/www/cgi-bin/{lang folder}/secure.pm and follow the direction about how to stop the host security checkpoint.

About the port 80 problem, i think you have IIS running... Microsoft's Server that comes with all version of Windows... You have to uninstall it.... I think that's whats using port 80.

OK - I Uninstalled IIS and that did the trick!!!

Managed to start MySql.

Then I tried to run PHPMyAdmin and I got this message:

#1045 - Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Any ideas?

Did you change the MySQL password?.... Download a new copy and run that...

No I didn't.

Where do I download MySQL from? What version?do I need to uninstall anything before I do this?

No I didn't.

Where do I download MySQL from? What version?do I need to uninstall anything before I do this?

OK - restarted my computer and all is working.

Thanks for all the help guys!