The Uniform Server Community

Coral 8.0.0 on Windows 2000 Server?

Joe_K

Just installed Coral 8.0.0 on a Windows 2000 Server. The control panel is attempting to call functions that don't seem to exist in DLLs:

"The procedure entry point getnameinfo could not be located in the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll"

MSDN seems to indicate support for this function, sorta.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi...2(v=VS.85).aspx

Seems as though "special accommodation" needs to be made to call it under Win2000.

My question - is Uniform Server supported on Windows 2000 (Professional or Server)? My previous V7 installations were on Windows XP.

also problems with getaddrinfo function

Installed logged in as administrator. Will not run as service either.

Just tried 7.1.15 Orion version. Get similar results, and the "systray" icon does not show up.

Help? :-)

thanks!

Joe

The short answer: No.

Microsoft dropped official extended support for Win2000 in July, 2010, and so did we. Your best bet is to see if those dlls mentioned in MSDN will function for you.

There may be many more issues, though.I'm not sure whether Apache, MySQL, PHP and the rest of the components work under Win2000.

Please tell me that you don't have this server exposed to the Internet, because here's the real problem. Even if you get ALL the pieces needed to get The Uniform Server running (whatever version), there's always the worry about malware attacks. Remember that Microsoft is not plugging any more security holes in Win2000.

My best advice in this case is to find a copy of Win Server 2008 R2 or Win Server 2003 R2 (if you can) and get that running instead.

Regards,

BobS

Bob,

Thanks for the guidance. To address your concern about security, this server was not slated for exposure to the Internet. It was intended for an internal development server on our LAN only. I was hoping to leverage our already-paid-for Win2000 license in lieu of springing for a Win2008 license. Oh well. :-)

Who controls the Wikipedia page for Uniform Server?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Uniform_Server

I got misled by the admittedly non-authoritative information there:

"All versions of The Uniform Server are compatible with Microsoft Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7."

Also, in my poking around the Uniform Server documentation and website, I do not see any specific reference to the System Requirements for the underlying OS. Are you in a position to recommend that this detail be added to the site?

Off to spend some $$$ on a newer license :-o

thanks!

Joe

Concerning the Wiki: I searched for that reference. It's NOT in the Wiki (I used a text edit search of the SQL dump!). Sorry. Might have been somewhere else I don't normally look at.

Wherever you saw it, it probably should have a "NOT" stuck in front....

If you'd like to make some edits to the Wiki, however, I'd be happy to activate a login for you :)

Regards,

BobS

Concerning the Wiki: I searched for that reference. It's NOT in the Wiki. Sorry. Might have been somewhere else I don't normally look at.

Wherever you saw it, it probably should have a "NOT" stuck in front....

If you'd like to make some edits to the Wiki, I'd be happy to activate a login for you :)

Regards,

BobS

It's not in the wiki run by the Uniform Server project. It's in THE wikipedia at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Uniform_Server

Last updated:

This page was last modified on 27 November 2011 at 20:06.

I have no idea who put up this page on the wikipedia.org site.

thx! Joe

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll go there and correct that little nugget of nonsense.

Next thing, someone will say it even runs on DOS.

Regards,

BobS

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

I was unable to get Coral or Orion to run under Win Server 2008 R2 (either standard or Datacenter). I get the error "side-by-side configuration is wrong" I found a work around that I do not understand. I installed Bitnami WAMP and then removed it. Orion then installs without issue. I did not test Coral.

-drl