The Uniform Server Community

Moving Uniform Server

egrogg1

Hello,

I have been trying to move Uniform Server from one computer to another and I can't seem to get it right.

I turned on live where i have it now and it works fine but moving it would not work.

Is there a tutorial that I can refer to in moving the Uniform Server?

I searched and couldn't find anything. I thought I seen one on how and what to convert to absolute paths and not relative paths, but not sure...

Can anyone help? :)

Thanks!

Uniform Server is inherently portable.

If you move folder UniServer and all its content to another location running servers for the first time at this new location all absolute paths are rewritten.

There are two constraints; path up to folder UniServer shall not contain spaces any virtual host folder shall be within folder Uniform Server.

Some third party applications hard code absolute paths in their configuration files preventing portability. You will find solutions for some popular applications on the Wiki.

Although I have not seen it some applications may hard code absolute paths in the MySQL server. (I think this may be confused with absolute url paths) The paths I am referring to are physical (absolute disk paths).

If Apache fails to start, run Apache syntax check. If it’s a path issue it will be obvious from the error report.

If its an application issue check Apache’s log file.

All the best

Ric :)

Uniform Server is inherently portable.

If you move folder UniServer and all its content to another location running servers for the first time at this new location all absolute paths are rewritten.

There are two constraints; path up to folder UniServer shall not contain spaces any virtual host folder shall be within folder Uniform Server.

Some third party applications hard code absolute paths in their configuration files preventing portability. You will find solutions for some popular applications on the Wiki.

Although I have not seen it some applications may hard code absolute paths in the MySQL server. (I think this may be confused with absolute url paths) The paths I am referring to are physical (absolute disk paths).

If Apache fails to start, run Apache syntax check. If it’s a path issue it will be obvious from the error report.

If its an application issue check Apache’s log file.

All the best

Thanks Ric!

I did a Apache syntax check and nothing out of the ordinary? I reset everything in the Apache files...checked Wordpress files, checked Sql dB's and nothing.

So, I started fresh...installed all services, installed WordPress, and forum. Imported dB's and all went well.

Everything works fine now? Can't figure out why but, the only thing I can think of is that I missed something looking at the settings...but I did move it to WHS (Win Home Server) and don't know if there was some kind of setting that was not able to change somewhere...

I do know that I changed the permissions when I installed a clean server, and added Apache and MySql to the firewall.

Anyway, I did get it finally...either way, I learned a lot moving, removing, installing, uninstalling, ect...

thanks for your knowledge!

Hi egrogg1

Thanks for the feedback; it will help other users with a similar issue. B)

In a similar vein Avast, Zone alarm, both free have insisted I update this weekend! :)

Always a recipe for disaster! Well with nothing better do! I upgraded. :)

I always crate a restore point, because these can kill you stone dead. :lol:

Well! What a pleasant experience, they both done their stuff. Screwed absolutely nothing up. If anything I noticed an increase in speed. B)

Would I recommend them! Hey did you not read the last sentence. B)

An excellent duo, I could make the analogy but wont :blink:

All the best