The Uniform Server Community

can't seem to find a stable release to use

Guest bsenftner

Guest bsenftner

I have a fairly fresh install of Windows Server 2008 R2, on a 3-year old 8-core Xeon server with 24 Gb RAM.

I started using 8.0.0 on this machine about two weeks ago. During that time I noticed Apache crashing every once in a while, perhaps every few hours. I'd installed it as a service, and it came back so I did not think much about it.

Getting close to my deployment time, I upgraded my setup to 8.2.0 and am still experiencing Apache crashes. However, when that version's Apache crashes, it does not come back. Even though it's a Service. I thought that was the point of running them as a service - that, and relaunches after reboots.

So I tried downloading UniServer 7.1.15 to see if that was more stable. But I'm still getting Apache crashes. This version seems to crash more than the others. (I'm also getting good at finding how to crash it - simply attempt a file upload from a configured CKEditor instance.)

I have also noticed in the 7.1.15 version, using the system try app to launch anything from the "Advanced" or "Server Information & Logs" fails. Attempting to do so generates an error that says:

Could not execute menu item (internal error)

[Exception] could not execute shellexecute action:

The system can not find the file specified

So, I'm thinking I must have screwed up the install or something. Because there's no way your system is this unstable.

To make testing my UniServer hosted application easier with different versions of the UniServer, I have been installing the different versions into a directory called "UniServerVersions". For example, E:\UniServerVersions\UniServer_7_1_15 is one of the installs. The active version I am testing is moved to E:\UniServer where I then run the "start.exe" or "start_as_service.exe" depending upon which version is currently in E:\UniServer.

Is this okay to move the directory structure like this? I'm simply doing a "drag n drop" move of the directories.

This is the only thing I can think of... none of the other applications or services on this machine are crashing.

The crash just happened again, and here's the crash details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Apache.exe

Application Version: 2.2.21.0

Application Timestamp: 4e6b3136

Fault Module Name: php5ts.dll

Fault Module Version: 5.3.8.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e537a04

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000c7d7

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.1296.17

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Any suggestions??

:blink:

Thanks for including all the details! It makes it easier to correlate with our own experiences.

I, too, have noticed certain situations where Apache failed. As I recall, there was one of the 8-coral rc's that was consistent at crashing on server-info and server-status.

Your crash data points to php5ts.dll as the failed module, and I'm wondering if the winsxs is getting dlls confused (it shouldn't), or if{not related} there's a mismatched dll in The Uniform Server package.

That would certainly account for strange behavior. More study needed....

Regards,

BobS

You're right! That's Uuuuuugly! :)

There's another bug lurking that we need to track down as well. Might be they're related, but maybe not. :blink:

I think there are problems with picking up the right dlls. I regularly copy around UniServer subdirectories, so I don't think that has much bearing on it. Nevertheless, we'll have to do some more testing and research.

Regards,

BobS

HaHa. Sometime in the near future.

Since we don't know what we're looking for, it's pretty hard to give any ETA. Sort of like looking for the Loch Ness Monster. Besides, we're all volunteers here... :blink:

Regards,

BobS