The Uniform Server Community

Uni 5.0-non can't start

Borszczuk

Hi,

Contrary to others' problems with stopping Uni Server I got problems to run it in the first place (4.3 works all the time as expected). Got the UniServer5_0_beta_3.exe. When I click "start.exe" I see:

post-3614-1251377554_thumb.jpg

(aside from bit weird english there, I do have my task bar on the left side so "bottom right" is not correct assumption).

Beside above dialog, nothing else happens (nor tray icon appears). I've tried alternative_control scripts:

- start_2.exe made Visual Studio debugger starting which indicates start_2 just crashed

- start_server.bat - problems too I see error message refering to "C:\Documents" but I do not intend to have such folder. Does it mean nano is no longer portable?

Check the path to folder UniServer if there are any spaces in folder names, US will fail.

This “error message refering to "C:\Documents"” is symptomatic of the above issue.

Try extracting US directly to C drive (top level) do not extract to something like “My Documents”

“Does it mean nano is no longer portable” Copy folder UniServer and all its content to a USB memory stick (again top level) and try running it. (Note stick must be writable)

All the best

Ric :)

This “error message refering to "C:\Documents"” is symptomatic of the above issue.

That's was my suspect too. Kudos to morons @ M$ to introduce "documents and settings"...

Anyway - I did as you suggested and this time it worked. But unfortunately I am now getting back to US 4.3 - I know 5.0 is beta etc, so issues can happen but 4.3 works in any location w/o any tricks. And since I use US for my development and one of (very) major "pro" was complete portability, so I can simply drag US folder with me whenever I wanted, unpack whenever I wanted and keep working. I will wait for 5.0 to reach the same portability level

Regards,

An interesting comment “but 4.3 works in any location w/o any tricks” slight of hand it uses a virtual drive. :)

Have you tried V5 Beta3 on a memory stick or running as a service? :)

All the best

Ric :)

An interesting comment “but 4.3 works in any location w/o any tricks” slight of hand it uses a virtual drive. :)

True, it uses virtual drive, but from my perspective I do not care what it uses :) Be it VD, be it smart scripts - whatever it utilises it just works and that's the right way. I do not use UniServer for other things as for development and it's portability is crutial for me. I do not need any of the fancy features 5.0 may containt - maybe I am just not the taget user for 5.0?

Have you tried V5 Beta3 on a memory stick or running as a service? :)

No, I didn't. But if 5.0 would require any more trickery to work the same way 4.3 does than "click Start All" I do not like it. Which is a pity as UniServer is quite neat and I was more than happy with 4.3, aside it does not feature php 5.3. Frankly if anyone can give any quick guide on how to update php to 5.3 - I will shut up :o

• 2 weeks later...