The Uniform Server Community

Dot leaders

JTFinNH

I have to admit that the last time I asked this in a public forum, that I was responded to like a child who should know better; but, seriously I do not know how to accomplish this. I know I can create dot leaders using the str_pad function. Unless I use pre tags they don't line up. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm also ending up with a generic font as well. I know there is at least one, if not serveral methods of accomplishing this. I do not know any of them.

Please reply with a solution and indicated if there is a php version limitation.

I'm a coldfusion programmer and know nothing of php, but have you tried styling your output using css and the span tag - you know, create a special class in your style sheet that sets font-family, alignment, size, color etc, and then use span class=myclass around the dots ???

hth ~megan

I'm a coldfusion programmer and know nothing of php, but have you tried styling your output using css and the span tag - you know, create a special class in your style sheet that sets font-family, alignment, size, color etc, and then use span class=myclass around the dots ???

hth ~megan

A CSS Solution is a beginning. I've either got to find a way to precalculate the width of font for the "non-dot" text and accomodate it, using your solution, or find some way to retain the font-face yet have uniform, no pun intented, character widths. I believe somewhere within text or font attributes that there is a monospace attribute, I think the question is to whether or not the major browsers support it or not.

If it bugs me, I will look at it, never even considered this. Just hate to push you to another site. Hope this will help its not definitive but contains a few ideas.

http://center.uniformserver.com/dot_leader..._leaders_1.html

:lol: