The Uniform Server Community

Uniform Server on a USB Drive

Jackanape

Hi!

Currently, I'm using easyPHP for my local development, but it is a limited solution for my needs, and I had heard of Uniform Server, and thought I'd look into the switch. Especially appealing to me is the concept of carrying it with me on a USB stick, allowing me to take my work wherever I go.

However, in my search for information, I can't find anything on this subject, either in the Wiki, or in the forums. Is there a step-by-step list of instructions for installing and using US on a USB drive? I'll be moving between machines--even, if possible, to clients' machines, as well--so this is a must know before I proceed.

Hope to hear from you here soon!

Currently Working on Coranto OS Content Management System

Honed my php at GottaTalkPoker

You do not need to do anything special just copy the main UniServer folder and all its content to your USB stick and that’s it.

Try these pages for a little more detail:

http://center.uniformserver.com/virtual_ho...host_pac_4.html

http://center.uniformserver.com/us_34/us34_install_2.html

It really is that easy :unsure:

I currently have a copy of Uniform Server on my jump drive, all you have to do is download US extract it and copy it to your drive.

Just run UniController.exe or start_server.bat and your good to go. The only thing I have noticed is that the server runs a bit slower than if it was on your computer hard drive. But that is to be expected, and it isn't much slower.

IPB Image

I use a box standard USB stick from the dark ages, now that is slow. A friend of mine uses a Corsair stick that is really fast. However USB sticks will never be faster than your hard drive, if you can afford that little extra dosh go for a quality USB stick. That said UniServer is so small and smaller quality memory sticks are no longer in fashion hence cheap go for them.

:unsure:

And to note, the problem with the speed is not from the server. What they mean when they say low, is that it starts up slower than from hard drive. And not that slow, maybe a sec or two!

Thanks for all the help, Fellas!

I'm going out today to pick up a USB stick, and intend to go for it tomorrow--I'll keep you posted!

Currently Working on Coranto OS Content Management System

Honed my php at GottaTalkPoker