The Uniform Server Community

Unable to connect to my database

SteveJ

Hello,

I used an older version of Uniform Server before. It created a "W" drive when it was started. I used the "W" drive as my web server, the "C" drive (through the udrive folder) as my testing server, and my desktop as my local computer. I am now using UniServer5_6_13 on Windows 7. It does not create a "W" drive (at least for me). I tried using the C:\UniServer\www folder as both my remote and testing servers, but Dreamweaver can't find my database. I also tried using my desktop folder for both local and testing, but it didn't work either. I can work locally and upload to the web server no problem. I can't connect to dynamic content. I've tried by the wizard and the advanced systems to connect my .php page to a database. The database was created using phpMyAdmin in Uniform Server and appears to run fine. I have created a username and password, but Dreamweaver MX 2004 is not complaining about those - it says that my connection cannot find the database. I am using mySQL and PHP.

"2002 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host as failed to respond."

Thanks!!

-Steve

Obviously, the Nano (aka UniServer 5) series changed a couple of strategies from those "older version"s (Mona and before), e.g., the '"W" drive' and "the udrive folder" no longer a part of ... If you did NOT re-config your Dreamweaver for those changed drive/folder, and possible SQL ... For connection diag, I recommend 'netstat -abn -p tcp' to see if MySQL is running ...

Hello,

I used an older version of Uniform Server before. It created a "W" drive when it was started. I used the "W" drive as my web server, the "C" drive (through the udrive folder) as my testing server, and my desktop as my local computer. I am now using UniServer5_6_13 on Windows 7. It does not create a "W" drive (at least for me). I tried using the C:\UniServer\www folder as both my remote and testing servers, but Dreamweaver can't find my database. I also tried using my desktop folder for both local and testing, but it didn't work either. I can work locally and upload to the web server no problem. I can't connect to dynamic content. I've tried by the wizard and the advanced systems to connect my .php page to a database. The database was created using phpMyAdmin in Uniform Server and appears to run fine. I have created a username and password, but Dreamweaver MX 2004 is not complaining about those - it says that my connection cannot find the database. I am using mySQL and PHP.

"2002 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host as failed to respond."

Thanks!!

-Steve

Obviously, the Nano (aka UniServer 5) series changed a couple of strategies from those "older version"s (Mona and before), e.g., the '"W" drive' and "the udrive folder" no longer a part of ... If you did NOT re-config your Dreamweaver for those changed drive/folder, and possible SQL ... For connection diag, I recommend 'netstat -abn -p tcp' to see if MySQL is running ...

Hello Shyokou,

Thanks for the speedy reply. they have changed a lot. I did not change my configuration of Dreamweaver. I have allowed a hole in my Windows firewall for MySQL. MySQL is listening (port 3306, mysql-opt.exe) according to netstat -abn -p tcp.

-Steve

“I am now using UniServer5_6_13 on Windows 7”

“The database was created using phpMyAdmin in Uniform Server and appears to run fine.”

From the above your servers are working correctly. :)

Since you are using Windows 7 do not use localhost in any database configurations

MySQL does not recognise IPV6 addresses (Windows 7 default) it uses IPV4

Hence replace “localhost” with 127.0.0.1 this forces an IPV4 connection

I am not sure what configuration parameter is referred to in Dreamweaver MX 2004

It may be something like db_host = localhost

Change it to db_host = 127.0.0.1

There are alternatives to the above an excellent article by bobs can be found here.

All the best

Ric :)

Ric,

All's I can say is "pure genius". Using 127.0.0.1 instead of 'localhost' as my MySQL server address fixed the problem pronto!

Thanks!!

-Steve

“I am now using UniServer5_6_13 on Windows 7”

“The database was created using phpMyAdmin in Uniform Server and appears to run fine.”

From the above your servers are working correctly. :)

Since you are using Windows 7 do not use localhost in any database configurations

MySQL does not recognise IPV6 addresses (Windows 7 default) it uses IPV4

Hence replace “localhost” with 127.0.0.1 this forces an IPV4 connection

I am not sure what configuration parameter is referred to in Dreamweaver MX 2004

It may be something like db_host = localhost

Change it to db_host = 127.0.0.1

There are alternatives to the above an excellent article by bobs can be found here.

All the best

Ric :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm getting the exact same error message, but changing the host to 127.0.0.1 didn't fix it. I can see mysqld-opt in my processes, as well as connect to mysql through sqlyog using both 127.0.0.1 and localhost. Any ideas where to investigate further?

edit: I'm setting up a local environment for easier editing of my live website. The page I'm having trouble with is the phpbb3 script. I changed the connection details in the config.php file for it. The version of phpmyadmin included with uniserver also works for me.

Exact error message:

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. [2002]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.