• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jen1962

Jen1962

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Main OS: Windows 2000

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

I would like to work with Wordpress Offline. I was told to get a WAMP. But I am still confused. I have developed websites and used the ftp to upload them. So I understand servers. What's confusing me is does UniServer need internet to work. I would like to know with UniServer Orion on my computer and the Wordpress installation file on my computer would I be capable of working in Wordpress and design a template without internet access.

Thanks Jen

#2 Shyokou Ouyou

Shyokou Ouyou

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Main OS: Windows XP

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, big Yeah to your expectation ;-)

#3 BobS

BobS

Project Helper

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Retiring, computer systems, system design, model railroads....
  • Wiki ID: BobS
  • Main OS: Windows 7

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:00 AM

Elaborating on that affirmative...

I suggest that you look at the Wiki information for installing WordPress (http://wiki.uniforms...ess_on_5.0-Nano). While it references version 5-Nano, it will also work with 7-Orion series. I also suggest you use the WordPress plugin to start with, since it will get you going quickly.

You'll still want an Internet connection periodically in order to use WordPress' auto-update to get the latest versions of the core, themes and plugins.

This system gives you a private workbench for developing your site contents. Then you can copy the new content from the edit window of a given post to the target site (basically a cut-and-paste), or use a database export/import to transfer the site content. This latter method requires knowledge about the database contents, and some tweaks to merge it into a running site.

I have used this method for about 3 years, so I can vouch for it being "the way to go." It also acts as a proven backup of all the contents.

Regards,
BobS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users