The Uniform Server Community

connection refused while attempting

gratzo

Hi, I've had success initiating the UniformServer on my XP Pro machine, and thought I'd set it up on an old laptop that's sitting on the network as a test server.

I've installed both US v3.2a and v3.1 I found in a post that in order to get 3.2a running on a Win98 or earlier version that it's important to change one of the command lines "IF NOT ERROR LEVEL "X" goto started. The "X" was changed from 1 to 0, and the server started.

While typing in http://localhost, I get "the connection was refused..." error. Read more through the forums and thought perhaps the US v3.2a would not work on the old Win95 machine, so installed the US v3.1. When running v3.1, I get an error when initiating "start.bat", so I initiated "start.vsb" - that starts the server, but instantly gets the "the connection was refused..." error.

I can ping localhost, but when I ping localhost:80, it can't be found.

Bottom line, is this an application that can run on an old Win95 box, and, if it can, which version should I run. Second, I have both IE and Firefox installed as the browers, Firefox 1.0 is default. Is there any settings in the "Tools > Options > Connection Settings that I need to adjust?

By the way, the laptop is connected to a Linksys router, standard config, with SBC DSL (dynamic IP).

Thanks in advance - I'm a newbie, so go easy!

3.2 & 3.2a might not work on your Win95 box, but 3.1 is suppose to work. If you get that connection error, wait 5-10 seconds and then enter http://localhost into the address bar and hit enter...

If that does not work, check to see if there is a W:/ drive in My Computer and then post here with what happened and if the W:/ drive is there.

3.2 & 3.2a might not work on your Win95 box, but 3.1 is suppose to work. If you get that connection error, wait 5-10 seconds and then enter http://localhost into the address bar and hit enter...

If that does not work, check to see if there is a W:/ drive in My Computer and then post here with what happened and if the W:/ drive is there.

1477[/snapback]

Thanks for the response - here's what I've done: I restarted, reopened v3.1 (only seems to open with the start.vbs file), and the brower opens to the redirect page. (This is similar to v3.2a on my XP machine).

Waited 60 seconds or so, entered http://localhost, and get the same error.

There is the W:/ drive when you explore, along with all of the files/folders.

I've been able to get to the same point on the Win95 machine w/version 3.2a, but needed to change the start.bat file ( the 'IF NOT ERROR LEVEL "1" to a "0") - it starts and you have a W:/ drive. (Same connection error)

The 3 units I have are a desktop (XP - 192.168.1.101), a laptop, (XP - 192.168.1.100) and the Win95 (192.168.1.105).

Just can't seem to connect to the server - it seems to be there, just can't get in. I've even tried getting in remotely. The dynamic IP is 192.168.1.105. I have another machine sitting side by side with XP that has the 192.168.1.100 address, and I can get to that server (v3.2a) by altering the .htaccess files, allowing the .101 machine in.

There is no firewall running.

I've tried altering the .htaccess files, and even commenting out the Order Deny, Allow lines (all 3) - still no access.

An additional item - this had Windows Front Page and the Personal server, which I "uninstalled" from the control panel. Before installing UniformServer, I was able to network into the "Personal Server" from another machine, by entering http://192.168.1.105/index.html. It opened the basic default web page on the server, so I know that access to the machine existed.

I'm stumped!

Something might be blocking port 80 on that computer. Skype? Another Server? IIS?

1489[/snapback]

I had the MS Personal Server originally, but that was "uninstalled". Before uninstalling it, I was able to access it from another computer, just by typing 192.168.1.105. That brought me to the default Personal Server index.html page.

There is no other service running. (No Skype, Firewall, etc)

Are there any TCP/IP settings that I need to alter w/Win95 and the UniformServer?

Hmm.. read the Read Me file in the docs folder. It has the info on what is needed in Win95 to run the server right.

1493[/snapback]

The read me file is simplistic, and I'm following it to the letter.

The drive ("W:") is showing up - just can't connect to it. I'm wondering if there are specific settings for TCP/IP that need to be altered, or, if anyone has had success installing v3.1 on a Win95 box, what the exact settings are.

I do have a router that is set to PPoE. (doesn't seen to have an effect on getting UniformServer to run on my XP boxes, so not sure if any settings on the router need to be changed).

Thanks again for trying. :)

This is twisted. K, I want you to check the Services Control panel and see if there is a Apache Service in there somewhere.

The command to start the panel is:

Run>services.msc

This is twisted. K, I want you to check the Services Control panel and see if there is a Apache Service in there somewhere.

The command to start the panel is:

Run>services.msc

1497[/snapback]

Tried that, but realized that services.msc is not a Win95 command. There's no file that's associated to that command - is there another way? (as you can see, I'm not a 95 expert)

lol.. forgot it was Win95.. someone had the same problem you had.. started but no loading... had to reinstall WinXP cause we could not remove an Apache Service...

Let me think over yours.. get back to you tomorrow..

lol.. forgot it was Win95.. someone had the same problem you had.. started but no loading... had to reinstall WinXP cause we could not remove an Apache Service...

Let me think over yours.. get back to you tomorrow..

1499[/snapback]

Olajide, OK...I have officially given up on trying this on '95. I installed 2000Pro on the same box, and UniformServer is up and running. In case anyone wants to attempt a '95 install...uh...here's some of the things I went through and the time involved, so you can decide!! (I probably should have given up a few days ago, but I was determined to try it)

1. downloaded USv3.1 (about 30 seconds) :)

2. downloaded the appropriate MS patches for '95 (about 30 minutes to find them all) :)

3. read the US forum to find out why I couldn't connect (about 2 hours) :D

4. read a bunch of TCP/IP and Apache error docs (about 2 hours) :(

5. try about 20 different configs of network connections (about 2 hours) :D

6. bang my head against the wall (about 48 hours) :(

7. wipe out Windows95 and install 2000 (about 1 hour) B)

8. install US v3.2a, hit start.bat, up and running, about 60 seconds :D

So here's my official thanks for all of the help. Hope I haven't worn out any forum karma. I do have another question, but will post in a new topic. (the question will be about - can you use this server as a small webserver available to the internet, and if so, can you have multiple domains. Don't seem to see much documentation on it - perhaps you could point me to anyone that's done it or a tutorial)

thanks again,

g

umm, elyk.. the guy had problem with the server not virtual host. It starts but you can't connect to it...

1512[/snapback]

I finally gave up on Win95 - got Win2000Pro running on the same machine, installed US3.2a, and was up and running. I thought of posting a new topic, which may be the best on this one, but was searching all over the Apache site for the mod_vhost .so file. If you could point me in that direction, much appreciated. My final goal is to have a few small static sites on the one server. If there is a tutorial on step-by-step on how to do that, again, much appreciated.

thanks again,

g

Search the forum for mov_vhost or virtual host.... You will find some threads that will be of help.

1514[/snapback]

I read every thread in the forum, and I can't tell if the vhost.php file is all that's needed (and where it goes within the folders), or if you need to download mod_vhost_alias.so and use the files together. I was on the Apache module site for an hour looking for the mod_vhost_alias.so file and could not find it.

In all of the posts regarding vhost, there is no clear answer as to how or exactly what to install and where, as most of the questions are being answered for specific items within each persons install. Just wondering if there is a small step-by-step instruction anywhere. Is this something I should start a new thread on? (I think I'm wearing out my welcome on the Win95 topic!!)

Its in the Apache package....?

Just download the one you found here on the forum, place it in W:/usr/local/apache2/modules

Edit httpd.conf file and uncomment the line for the mod_vhost_alias module

The vhost.php script is a small script that helps you make virtual hosts... Recommended only for no0bs :D

You need the mod_vhost_alias module for vhost to work on Uniform Server.

Good Luck :) :(

Its in the Apache package....?

Just download the one you found here on the forum, place it in W:/usr/local/apache2/modules

Edit httpd.conf file and uncomment the line for the mod_vhost_alias module

The vhost.php script is a small script that helps you make virtual hosts... Recommended only for no0bs :D

You need the mod_vhost_alias module for vhost to work on Uniform Server.

Good Luck :) :(

1522[/snapback]

Sounds straightforward, I've "un-commented" the line in the httpd.conf file - only challenge is, I can't find the mod_vhost_alias.so file anywhere here or on the Apache module site. Any way to attach it to this thread? (I have a feeling it's written out in a few lines of code somewhere here on the forum, but I don't want to assume anything)

um, i'm sure i said in the forum. If you are trying to get it from the Apache site, you have to download the whole server and remove it form the exe, or you can just get it here like i said. :)

In this forum post: http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?s...=findpost&p=240

um, i'm sure i said in the forum. If you are trying to get it from the Apache site, you have to download the whole server and remove it form the exe, or you can just get it here like i said. ;)

In this forum post: http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?s...=findpost&p=240

1526[/snapback]

Thanks - got it! It's interesting that the post with the file attached doesn't come up in the search...weird!!

I have a few more questions, as the posts that are relative to the mod_vhost are a bit fragmented (some are in reference to subdomain, others discuss the vhost.php script).

Let me know if I should start new threads, this one is getting long in the tooth :blink: - topics I'd like to know are:

1. can you ftp into folders on the server (within the LAN)?? - if so, what would it take to connect to the www folder (I have edited the .htaccess file to allow the IP of the machine I'm trying to ftp "from". I've tried 192.168.1.105/ and the connection is refused (you can browse into this folder, which is the WWW folder and get the "index.php" file - just can't seem to get connected via ftp)

2. is there a way to set folder permissions (CHMOD) - I suppose once you can ftp into it, you can set the permissions (would like to do this for setting up a password folder)

3. and finally, with mod_vhost_alias.so placed into the modules folder, and enabled in the httpd.config file, I have a feeling that I need to write a few lines of code specific to the new folder name. Again, wondering if this should be a new topic in the forum.

Thank you again, you have been most helpful, and what started as something that I wanted to use to test the look of a .php file is turning into something a whole lot better!! When I get this all ironed out, I'd like to write a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this!

A. Yes you can, you will need the SlimFTPd plugin for that though. Download it at the SF Download Page. You can get the link from www.uniformserver.com

There is no such thing as CHMOD on Windows... :blink: Not needed

For the last part, you are going to have to go tutorial hunting or something via Google. If you are a beginner, its best you do so.