The Uniform Server Community

How Do I get started ??

Next time try and read the READ ME.txt file in the Docs folder.... :D

All you have to do is start the program using Start.bat You do not need to set anything up or do anything....

After the program has started, it will create a W:/ drive. In the W:/ drive is W:/www/ put all your web files in there. Put all Perl files in W:/cgi-bin/

Also if you are using Windows98 or WindowsNT you might have problems starting the server because of a bug affecting our start and stop system. If you have a Firewall or Anti-Virus they also sometimes block Port 80 which gives an error when you start the server. If you use Skype, it also blocks port 80 which is the web port.

If you are using Windows98 or WindowsNT, 3.3 will be out soon with the problems fixed. :D

Thanks.

The server is easy to use. 1 of the best and easiest WAMP Package ever made. It requires no config or anything unlike others and is safe/user friendly as anything...

Our server is safe. even safer than XAMPP. all you have to make sure if that you do not program wrongly, especially in PHP. Also if you know you are not as advance in PHP, try and turn register_globals Off in the phpi.ini file so that in case you have a script trying to use it it would be safe. Also try and turn safe_mode On if you do not want any mistakes made, or if you want to be fully safe.

Note that turning safe_mode On may cause some scripts that require it not to work... and turning register_globals Off may cause the same problem for scripts who use it badly, which they should not be using it by the way...

:D

Hello, I download the plugin for the ftpserver but I am getting a error saying

"Windows cannot find 'diskw/home/admin/program/unieerv.exe'" when I get this error is when I click on start slimftp.bat ! The other thing is when I click on SlimFTP.exe nothing happens! Now I download the Plugin to the W:/ and made a folder call Plugins but I did not open them there, I put them in D:/UniServer3_2 folder which made a folder call "Slimftp" in the UniServer3_2 folder there is also start.bat, stop.bat, redirect.html, doc and diskw. I don't understand what am I doing wrong? Could someone help me out? :D

If it says "Windows cannot find 'diskw/home/admin/program/unieerv.exe", then that means there is a bug in the start file. Edit it and find where it says "unierv.exe" and replace it with "uniserv.exe".

Place the Start SlimFTPd.bat file where the diskw folder is and the other start files. Everything else should work fine... :D

Thanks

I am sorry it does say " 'diskw/home/admin/program/uniserv.exe" also when I wanted to get to the admin html where the setting are at I click on redirect.html but I think windows xp is not letting me get to it because I am getting a error saying the page cannot be display! hey by the way you guys are fast for answering question here! well let me know what to do next but here is my setup so far I have a drive "D" with D:\uniserver3_2 under this folder I have other folders including .bat files! here is what is under this folder: UniServe3_2(Folder), diskw(Folder), Doc(Folder), SlimFtp(folder), Unitray(folder), redirect.html, start.bat, and stop.bat I am think maybe I setup something wrong? well under the W:\ I have USR(folder), WWW(folder), and Plugins(folder) let me know if I have setup something wrong ! and thanks for all your help ! I have not setup anything online yet! I am thinking of using noip.com for a domain name or sevices! well let me know if you can help me out? and once more THANK YOU ! :D

hey.. hold on a sec.. one support at a time. .i am only a human being and not a machine... you are lossing me with every post... posting 4 things at once or confusing me... :D

First, does the server start? If it does, you will be able to access http://localhost

Can you view: http://localhost?

Thanks

Well not anymore! I used too but it will not let me! I get a error saying "The Page cannot be displayed" I don't know what happen? I used to login but I am not to sure if it is windows xp pro doing it? because I get that stuiped information bar! telling me that I have some active x so I click on "allow" then I get that error. Well I was thinking if I should reload the server again? Do you think this might be a good idea? :D

We will have to take this step by step... :D

Once you click Start.bat, open IE, wait for 1 min and then navigate to http://localhost

Tell me if it shows anything.... so we can move on to the next step...

Thanks

Ok, when I click on "Start.bat" the command window opens up, inside the command window it said " The disk w is busy. Use start.bat [disk letter]. Press any key to continue" so I press any key to continue. I click on my IE to open up a windows, in the address bar I type "Http://localhost" and I get a error saying "The page cannot be displayed" so I even type "http://localhost/a" and still get the error "The page cannot be displayed". I have noticed this problem when I started to download all the plugins, I don't know if this was the reason why I am getting this error, but before it used to open up to "http://localhost/a" but not anymore, I hope this helps!

Thank You

The server is not starting... and that is the problem why you cannot open up http://localhost

You said you use to open it up before, so that means you must have installed a new program that is either blocking port 80.. or do you have a disk drive named W:/

PS: please try to use the [Enter] button so i can read it well and not just junk everything together.. :D :(

Thanks

Hey I reload uniformserver and it seem to work now, but I have a question?

how come I could not find the uninstall option? I went into windows to see if I could uninstall under Add & Removed Programs and I could not find "Uniformserver"

so I have to delete every file. Well I am going to start all over again and see what happens, but could you answer my question above.

The Uniform Server does not put registry junk on your PC... to uninstall.. just delete.. its that easy....

It does not mess with your PC in no way... :D

Hey, I have couple of more questions:

1) Under the Drive "W:\" I have five folders "Usr", "WWW", "Cgi-bin", "Home" and "Tmp" could you please explain what are the used for each folder?

2) My second question is under the Drive "D:\" which is on my computer. "D:\UniServer3_2a" under the UniServer3_2a Folder why are there two more folders call "diskw" and "Doc"? and how can I used these folders?

So far these are some of my questions I have, I wanted to learn alittle better so I can started putting something online but I wanted to have a better understanding before I do anything.

Thank You ! :D

Use the www folder to put you files.. the files that will show on the server. Use the cgi-bin to put the perl scripts and cgi scripts... others you do not need to worry about... tmp is for temporary files... :)

The diskw folder is what you see in the W:/ folder... u should get that..? :D the doc folder is the docs folder for docs... duh :(

:D

After shutdown the W:/ drive will be gone... you can save files to either the disw/www/ or W;/www/

Hope this helps :D :D

Cya later :D

Cool ! well just looking in the "W:\home" and "W:\usr" there is alot of things in there ! My questions is what would I have to do if I need to put a user to edit some web files remote? do I have to edit any of these files?

I know you said not to worry about these folders but I do see alot of things in there, I was just wondering if I will need them down the line?

Thank You

Read the topic that is pinned in the Uniform Server - Windows Forum... this forum :D

Also check the Wiki...

Click the View All Topics on the front page to see all topics in the wiki... :(