The Uniform Server Community

Cannot get past "...server is started" error

stuart

Hi,

I'm trying to run the Uniform Server on a couple of PCs but on each of them, after running 'start.bat', I receive the error message:

One of the instances of Apache server is started. Use stop.bat

I run 'stop.bat' then re-run 'start.bat' and receive the same message again (as you may be able to tell, I'm not what you'd call a 'server expert' - in fact I have very little experience of this at all, I'm just a simple web developer!)

Here's what I've tried:

- turning off the anti-virus (AVG) (same result)

- removing the '127.0.0.1 localhost' assignation from the HOSTS file (same result)

- run netstat - nothing seems to be using port 80

- 'ping localhost' - no lost packets

- run in 'Safe Mode' (hey, desparation!) - 'ping localhost' showed all packets lost, but running 'start.bat' STILL produced same error message

The OSs in question are Win98 and Win98SE and neither have Skype installed.

Any ideas folks, as I'd love to give the server a run as a web development project testing platform?

cheers,

Stuart

Wow, thanks Stuart. I really love the way you gave me all the info :(

Well, first of, i am sorry to say that there is a bug on the start and stop system we use to start/stop the server as of 3.2 This only affects the 3.2 package because we developed a new start and stop system to hide the CMD window but it seems like it has a Process32 bug on Win98 and NT. It is really only suppose to affect Nt but also affects Win98 some how.

Anyways, we are working on fixing that bug and when 3.3 comes out, you can be sure that we hope to have fixed it. Currently you can try 3.1 if you like also.

Thanks and sorry... :D

PS: I will try and see if i can make you a temporary start and stop system.

Wow, thanks Stuart. I really love the way you gave me all the info :(

hehe - I TRIED to pre-empt all the obvious questions... :angry:

Anyways, we are working on fixing that bug and when 3.3 comes out, you can be sure that we hope to have fixed it. Currently you can try 3.1 if you like also.

Will give v3.1 a go later, thanks!

PS: I will try and see if i can make you a temporary start and stop system.

320[/snapback]

Thanks, Olajide, that would be great! :D

cheers,

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had a lot of trouble getting the UniServer running on my winXP SP2 machine, I kept getting the 'cannot reassign socket' error (or something similar). That's untill I saw this post:

The OSs in question are Win98 and Win98SE and neither have Skype installed.

319[/snapback]

I stopped Skype and voilá, it worked :-) I just wanted to add this to this thread for posterity and future reference. Perhaps it is good to add this to the readme file and/or the FAQ here?

Herko

XOOPS.org project manager

We will be adding it to the wiki...

http://www.uniformserver.com/wiki/ :P

Thanks....

BTW: you guys are the one who makes the XSAS right? nice use of our product :) g.job