The Uniform Server Community

Newbie help on starting and stopping Apache

kirkzeus

Hi all

I want to be able to start and stop Apache from 2 separate Windows XP Desktop shortcuts. For the life of me I've tried various paths and settings within the shortcut but keep on getting errors on trying to run Apache. I am running Uniform Server v3.3 and the path is via "F:\WAMP\UniServer_v3.3".

Any help with the shortcut's 'Target' and 'Start in' settings would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

On my Win2000 system, the start directory/folder is the location of the batch file server_start.bat. The target directory is the location of the uniform server installation which in my case is the same.

start: C:\Program Files\...\Uniform Server\Server_Start.bat"

target: "C:\Program Files\...\Uniform Server\Server_Start.bat"

Notice that these are NOT the, as yet, unmounted drive which will be recreated by the batch file.

I'm going to guess that your "F:\WAMP\UniServer_v3.3". may be the actual installation folder?

WOMM

Leave all files where they are suppose to be.. no file is to be moved around... just because the server is mobile does not mean you can put Server_Start.bat anywhere you want :lol:

Right Click on [File Name] > Send To > Desktop (Shortcut)

That should make a good shortcut for you and with that, you can copy and paste where ever you want.

Leave all files where they are suppose to be.. no file is to be moved around... just because the server is mobile does not mean you can put Server_Start.bat anywhere you want :lol:

Right Click on [File Name] > Send To > Desktop (Shortcut)

That should make a good shortcut for you and with that, you can copy and paste where ever you want.

2206[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried what you have suggested to create an Apache shortcut, but get the following error message when I run it:

+++++++++++++++

C:\Documents and Settings\kirkzeus>"F:\WAMP\UniServer_v3.3\diskw\usr\local\apache2\bin\Apache.exe"

Syntax error on line 69 of F:/WAMP/UniServer_v3.3/diskw/usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:

ServerRoot must be a valid directory

+++++++++++++++

The desktop's shortcut's "Start in" has the follwoing contents:

"F:\WAMP\UniServer_v3.3\diskw\usr\local\apache2\bin"

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

I have no idea what it is you guys are doing, but this is like the easiest thing to do on the computer.

Right Click [server_Start.bat or Disk Start.vbs] > Send To > Desktop (create shortcut)

It will make the shortcut for you... Then, you can copy it anywhere you want. I have tried this on more than 3 computers now and works perfect so i do not know what you guys are doing wrong.

Make sure that in the Properties of the Shortcut, the 'Start In' variable is set to the main location of the file!

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately this isn't quite what I want to do.

Yes, I want Apache to start but I do not want the web browser to start up as well. All I want is for Apache to start without any windows being displayed, although I don't mind a short pop up to appear then disappear immediately.

Thanks