The Uniform Server Community

What are the differences between Nano and Carbo version?

alqin

I have not yet tried the Carbo version because everything is just fine with the Nano version but I was wondering what exactly is diferent in the Carbo version. I did not find a place where there are clear shown the differences.

Nano – Uses VC6 binaries

Carbo – Uses VC9 binaries and new menu

Download and give Carbo a try, if you don’t like it just delete.

All the best

Ric :)

Thank you Ric for your awesome approach on developing Uniserver.

I tried it. For now the only difference i fell would be the new menu. I like it!

The vc9(different compiled, multiple processor, whatever... :)) binaries may make it a little faster, i'm not sure.

The only problem would be that the menu it show in the center of the screen on the vertical, when i click the tray icon, other than that so far so good.

Not sure why it does that. :angry:

Still working on a few items before next release. :)

As for 5.6.9-Nano

This alternative should work

http://wiki.uniformserver.com/index.php/Z_...er_Introduction

It at first, appears complex, to run servers just click buttons on first tab

All the best

Z-controller looks better for me than the default menus for Nano.

For now I'll stay with Carbo. I also installed xdebug and everything is fine.

On the Carbo on apanel/Version Check it says that there is a new version 5.6.9 Nano and probably it should say that now is installed the last version of Carbo.

If I'm not wrong Nano 5.6.9 compared to Carbo 6.0.0 only the phpmyadmin is a newer version.

Version check “apanel/Version Check” this picks up most stable production release.

“ Z-controller looks better for me than the default menus for Nano.”

Real issue do we scrap Carbo’s pop-up menu and go for a Z-controller type implementation. :)

“If I'm not wrong Nano 5.6.9 compared to Carbo 6.0.0 only the phpmyadmin is a newer version.”

Yes and no! Carbo 6.0.1 will have all the updates and bug fixes to menu.

All the best

Ric :angry:

“For now Z-Controller looks more professional but popup menus are less intrusive you just click something and they go away. Maybe a poll will show what users prefer”

That’s interesting! Z-Controller can be changed to dismiss itself to the tray bar. Hence once you click start servers after the flashing things it can minimise to tray.

Not sure if you would like this:

Perhaps go for Z-Con format with a tray menu feel.

All the best

Perhaps go for Z-Con format with a tray menu feel.

That sounds good to me.

One question: What is the recommended way to install a new version?

I never just overwrite the old build with a new one.

I made a file settings.txt in witch I write every modification that i make in UniServer that I know In will need to have in a new version of UniServer.

Feature request: Maybe an export(to a file/archive/directory?) and import settings option?

Even better import setting from an older installation. Something like, stop the server for the older version, start the new version from the Z-con :), first pops up a dialog witch asks you to import setting from the old version (by browsing its root directory), or just as it is now (asks you to insert some password or not).

In my case for now i would be interested in importing what is in Admin Virtual Host/httpd.conf, php.ini, mysql databases, the passwords, also to copy some files like xdebug, directories like etc, www(although i always use virtual host to point to my projects somewhere on the disk)...