The Uniform Server Community

Running Perl scripts

jkwng1

Ummm.. never really tried that before to actually know if it will work with CMDs, but the Perl Interpreter in Uniform Server does not have everything included with it. Its main purpose is as part of a Web Server, not a standalone.

I also believe that for that method to work, Perl has to installed in the system.. as in Registry Information and things like that.. thats why PPM does not work on Uniform Server.

I will look into it annd get back to you. :lol:

• 3 months later...

I dont know if this will help, but I hit a similar problem today, I was playing with SquirrelMail and its plugins, the system uses the command line perl interface to run the configuration utility...

I downloaded Active Perl and installed it and then copied perl.exe and perl58.dll from c:\perl\usr\bin to w:\usr\bin and the entire contents of c:\perl\user\lib to w:\usr\lib.

Having done this I found I could open a command prompt in w:\usr\bin and execut the following at the command line: -

perl.exe w:\www\config\conf.pl

This carried on working even after uninstalling Active Perl!

I can only guess that some entries in w:\usr\lib were missing (I needed to update perl.exe and perl58.dll to fix complaints about file versions - I appear to be running a newer version of Perl now...)

As I said,

Hope it helps...

Cheers

Couch Potatoe

Yes, thats because of the files you copied over....

Not to be confused, are you saying the files you copied are deleted and it works? or somehing else....

Thanks.

Sorry, should have made myself clearer....

I've played a bit more since, and this works for me on a fresh copy of the Uniform server...

Download the Active Perl Zipped archive.

Overwrite the perl.exe and perl58.dll files that the Uniform server uses (in diskw\usr\bin) with new versions from the archive.

Overwrite the entire contents of the user\lib directory and sub directories that the Uniform Server uses (diskw\usr\lib) with the usr\lib files from the archive.

The Active Perl download is no longer needed...

Fire up the Uniform server then open a command prompt in w:\usr\bin

You should now be able to execute command line perl scripts in the command prompt window in the following manner

perl.exe w:\...path to perl file...\perl_file.pl

(I my case with SquirrelMail it was perl.exe w:\www\config\conf.pl)

There must be some files "missing" from usr\lib in the Uniform server setup that stop the command line working, unfortunately I dont know enough about Active Perl to figure out which ones :)

Hope this makes sense...

Couch Potatoe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's because he hasn't uncommented

AddHandler cgi-script .bat .exe .pl .cgi

and

Action application/x-perl "/usr/bin/perl"

(which are of course, commented by default) in his httpd.conf?

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe it's because he hasn't uncommented
AddHandler cgi-script .bat .exe .pl .cgi

and

Action application/x-perl "/usr/bin/perl"

(which are of course, commented by default) in his httpd.conf?

Sorry about the confusion I caused, I've realized what I was missing in this post:

Ok, sorry for all that nonsense.

I take back what I said.

Now I know that "ScriptAlias" does the same thing as "AddHandler cgi-script .pl .cgi", thanks for telling me :(

Edited by MrX