The Uniform Server Community

Installing complete Perl Lib

Jackanape

I'm using Uniform Server to handle all my development needs, right off the USB stick, and for my php and html it was worked well to date.

However, I've been unable to get my Perl Dev project running. At first, I attempted to follow up on the suggestions in this topic:

http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?showtopic=470

But, they didn't do the trick. Finally, I just tried copying over the contents of ActivePerl's "perl/lib" directory to US's "usr/lib" directory, and it seems to have done the trick. BUT, I want to be sure that this solution is the correct one, and that it won't hurt anything else in my US installation. Can anyone confirm?

Currently Working on Coranto OS Content Management System

Honed my php at GottaTalkPoker

Yep that’s the correct thing to do if you use Perl for any meaty development. ActivePerl is certainly the one to use its what Uniform Server uses.

The real problem is explained on this page zap down to the problems section

http://center.uniformserver.com/new_users_...ers_perl_1.html

BUT, I want to be sure that this solution is the correct one, and that it won't hurt anything else in my US installation. Can anyone confirm?

From what I have seen Uniform Server uses only the core functions in its scripts these are very stable hence you will have no problem with your solution. :D

The only problem is with third party modules that do not get updated as explained in the problem section. :D

If anyone is interested the full ActivePerl lib is large hence the cut down version in Uniform Server. I personally would recommend that you copy across only the modules you need.

All the best

Ric

:)

The only problem is with third party modules that do not get updated as explained in the problem section. :D

That makes sense. I considered picking through all the modules until my dev script worked, but I'm going to be pretty heavily involved with some perl development for awhile, so copying the entire ActivePerl lib seems the most prudent for my needs.

Thanks much for the reply, and for the terrific UniCenter! You have no idea how many support issues I've solved there before having to post here!

hmmm...looks like I spoke too fast here.

Since I added my Perl libraries, I can run US locally on my laptop, or my desktop, but not from the USB stick as before. I've tried several times to date, and still no luck.

The W: drive shows up as it's supposed to, but I can't access localhost. This is on a fresh download and install onto the stick, after adding the ActivePerl libs.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem?

hmm.. and it works when its on the PC hard drive?

Exactly...and it's the same fresh download in instance. I basically took the fresh install that worked on the hard drive, and copied it over.

It's bizarre.

Full Perl

I have been following this one because I stated the core elements of Perl are stable and doing a full overlay of the library should not cause a problem with UniServer. OK I do admit a little tongue in cheek I have never tried it.

I could not resist the temptation and give it a bash, just to see where the problems are. In my previous post I mentioned the library was big hence provide a few figures

Test machine running Windows XP home

Library taken from ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739

1) Installed a clean version of Uniform Server 3.5-Apollo this was directly to a USB stick, time taken about 8 minuets. (Size about 43M)

2) Tested the installation, no problems well apart from the security stuff from the firewall. Running fine on apanel and Localhost.

3) Directly overlaid the full Perl library to USB stick, allowed overwrite to both read only files and current files. Size about 46M time around 12 minutes.

4) Tests ran through admin panel info pages and Localhost no problems.

5) Restarted PC again no problem, ran the memory stick on another PC (OK running XP home) no problem.

I was hoping to reproduce the problem but now I am stumped.

The only conclusion I can draw although a long shot have you tried a different memory stick? :D

All the best

Ric :)

PS I suppose looking on the bright side I now have UniServer with a full version of Perl on me memory stick thanks for that. :D

PS I suppose looking on the bright side I now have UniServer with a full version of Perl on me memory stick thanks for that. :D

LOL--you're welcome!

Seeing as how it worked for you, I'm going to try it again on my end, exactly as you have listed, first on the same stick, but cleared off, and if that doesn't work, on a new stick. I wonder if I can reformat a stick? LOL

LOL--you're welcome!

Seeing as how it worked for you, I'm going to try it again on my end, exactly as you have listed, first on the same stick, but cleared off, and if that doesn't work, on a new stick. I wonder if I can reformat a stick? LOL

Well, I methodically and slowly went about it, following your instructions, with freshly downloaded files--although I used this version of ACtivePerl (ActivePerl-5.8.8.822-MSWin32-x86-280952) also on WinXP Home Edition--and I even rebooted between steps to make sure I didn't have a server running before my tests. Also, I cleared my firewall exceptions of any previous mentions of US's server applications.

Works Now! Quite well, I might add!

Thanks again for the help, and for helping a Server-on-a-stick newb yet again! I will be sharing all this with the dev team over at Coranto!

ARRGGHH! I'm pulling my hair out on this one!

Sure, I got it to run fine off the stick, then I installed a local version onto my C drive to work with locally, and now, neither of them work! As before, the W drive is there, but the server hasn't started, apparently, as a visit to localhost gets me a "unable to connect" error. I've pored over the forums for what seems like days--well, it actually has been days, and can find no relief. I haven't installed any new software, so nothing--as far as I know-- is using port 80, and I've even turned off my firewall...nothing.

Any ideas at all?

Oh, yes, I also re-extracted my .zip file to attempt to reinstall US, still no help.

In my early years of web development, i used to you a news script called Coranto.. i think.. is this the same Coranto???

Sure is. Started out as NewsPro? I remember for a while trying to find another CMS, but there was nothing as versatile as Coranto...

I'm running down a list here. Firewall is off, as I said, and I can't find out if port 80 is blocked or not. Spent an hour just trying to find that procedure on Google, to no avail...LOL

I've got a linksys router, but would that be blocking localhost?

On second thought, that's not the issue, either, because I tried to fire her up when I was away from home the other night, and still no server...but a W drive...

Could it be trying to run two instances of US blocked port 80 to both? I have no idea how to find my port info...

You cannot run two instances of the server at once!!! lol. :lol:

Just one! and also, do you use Skype?

Really? So are you continuing the development or where you part of the real team?

You cannot run two instances of the server at once!!! lol. :lol:

Just one! and also, do you use Skype?

I'm only trying to run one at a time. Never two. For example, once I got the stick server running, I shut down the system, and rebooted, and tried getting the local server running...and haven't been able to access either since.

Don't know what Skype is, so I guess the answer is no. ;)

Nope. The Server just doesn't fire up in the browser. The W drive is started and listed in "My Computer", but it seems the server itself isn't working, if that makes any sense.

What happens when you go to http://localhost ?

As I said above:

a visit to localhost gets me a "unable to connect" error.

Some more details:

When I fire up uniserver, a command prompt (dos) window opens and says, "The server is now running on W..."

hmmm...and THIS time (I fire up uniserver every time I turn on my laptop, to test the situation) as I've been typing this, my Admin panel appears in my browser...I must be living wrong.

Is it possible that closing the dos window manually--I think I usually do this--can cause the serever not to fully open for me? Even when I do that, the uniserver "Server is Running" message still pops up, so I never thought of it, until now. This time, I left the dos window open so I could copy the message...

The window will close itself when its done!!! Do not close it cause it might still be working on something... it will close itself.. lol. :lol: