The Uniform Server Community

UniserverZ: I have to update Windows hosts file manually.

newuni

Using UniServer Zero XI 1.0.3 on Win7.

When I create a new virtual host using the controller, I have to manually add a directive to my Windows hosts file. If I don't, my browser will not find the new virtual host. I've checked and the httpd-vhosts.conf and PAC files are being updated just fine. But not the Windows hosts file.

Yes, I've restarted the server.

[Coral 8.9.2 creates the hosts entry just fine.]

Should I have to manually add the directive?

The Windows host file is subject to access control because of this to change its content requires admin privileges. An application that changes this file requires elevating to admin this is not consistent with portability hence the file requires manually updating.

After adding a new Vhost use the utility program EdHost.exe located in folder C:\UniServerZ\utils this forces elevation allowing you to change the host file content.

All the best

Ric

Thanks, Ric.

Was that in the docs, or did I just miss it?

The Windows host file is subject to access control because of this to change its content requires admin privileges. An application that changes this file requires elevating to admin this is not consistent with portability hence the file requires manually updating.

After adding a new Vhost use the utility program EdHost.exe located in folder C:\UniServerZ\utils this forces elevation allowing you to change the host file content.

All the best

Ric

The above was an interim solution and not documented.

UniController has been updated to ZeroXI_controller_1_0_4 which now supports automatic update of the hosts file. This functionality is enabled by default, for portability provision is provided to disable it. In addition you can directly run the edit hosts file utility from UniController.

The documentation has been updated (ZeroXI_documentation_1_0_1.exe) to reflect the above modifications.

Uniform Server 11_0_4_ZeroXI has been released with the above incorporated.