The Uniform Server Community

how to enable EXIF

gratzo

I've searched the forum and only could find one reference to EXIF data, and the Uniform Server. A topic started in February, but not ever closed that I can tell.

Currently running Windows 2000Pro, US v3.2a, and would like to capture the EXIF data - notice that this is not enabled in PHP. Is there a way to enable it? I realize that the UniformServer is kept at a minimum size with only the basics as the default install - hoping that there is a way to enable it without having to completely re-install US.

Thanks in advance!

What you need to do:

1. Go to www.php.net and download the package that is on your current Uniform Server. If you are using Uniform Server 3.2a, that would be PHP 5.0.4

2. After download, copy the extention php_exif.dll to the /usr/local/php/extensions/ folder.

3. Check to make sure that the php_mbstring.dll file is in that folder. The /usr/local/php/extensions/ folder. If it isn't, copy it there.

4. Edit the php.ini file in /usr/local/php/ folder. Uncomment the extension, php_exif.dll in the file. Make sure that the extension comes after the php_mbstring.dll extension. If the php_mbstring.dll extension is also commented, which it shouldn't, uncomment it.

Hope that works... good luck.

What you need to do:

1. Go to www.php.net and download the package that is on your current Uniform Server. If you are using Uniform Server 3.2a, that would be PHP 5.0.4

2. After download, copy the extention php_exif.dll to the /usr/local/php/extensions/ folder.

3. Check to make sure that the php_mbstring.dll file is in that folder. The /usr/local/php/extensions/ folder. If it isn't, copy it there.

4. Edit the php.ini file in /usr/local/php/ folder. Uncomment the extension, php_exif.dll in the file. Make sure that the extension comes after the php_mbstring.dll extension. If the php_mbstring.dll extension is also commented, which it shouldn't, uncomment it.

Hope that works... good luck.

1564[/snapback]

Thanks! Something strange, however...I was probably using a photo that had been modified by photoshop, and "save-for-web", which I believe strips the exif data. I tried a couple of different photos, and the exif data shows up, without doing the above modification. (so now I'm stumped, thinking that I needed to enable EXIF...but it's reading it, so I didn't need to enable it...weird!)

Thanks anyway...will be posting another quick question regarding sendmail in a moment.

• 2 years later...

FYI, I just did this for US3.5 and the php.ini file move php_exif.dll first, so I had to move it AFTER the line for php_mbstring.dll. It seems like the default ini file should be fixed.