The Uniform Server Community

File saving stuff?

Twirp

I like that Uniform Server can be stored on my USB stick,

but I wanted to use a script that would edit files via the browser and the only problem is that when I stop Uniform server, the changes aren't saved on the stick.

Does that mean I'll have to copy the www directory back to the USB stick prior to stopping the server? (and the MySQL tables/anything else that is being changed?)

I was wondering if there was a way around this, or something...

Thankyou for your time.

If your server is on the USB stick and you are running that installation, whatever changes you make to the files/database are stored on that server/installation.

You dont need to do anything unless you are doing something wrong.... Check the script you are using that it is also saving the files....

If your server is on the USB stick and you are running that installation, whatever changes you make to the files/database are stored on that server/installation.

You dont need to do anything unless you are doing something wrong.... Check the script you are using that it is also saving the files....

2073[/snapback]

Well, it's modified mounted thing (the w:/www/ directory)

but when I close it w:/ is unmounted, none of the modified files are stored on the USB stick.

The files are there (I can type http://127.0.0.1/page.php and see it)

but when I shut down, and go to K:\Server\diskw\www the file isn't there.

Umm you are confusing me...

When you start the server with Start.bat, it creates a W:/ drive. The W:/ drive is a SUBST drive of the main and real drive the server is really on so whatever you edit and save on the W:/ drive is also being saved on the real drive....

If you have a W:/www/file.php, then you should have a /path/to/server/diskw/www/file.php file also.... If you dont, then something is wrong.... you might be working on another server... and not the main Uniform Server installation...

What are you using to edit the pages? Is this a CMS?

Thats what i am guessing also... either that or he has another server running... IIS or another Apache... and he is working on that one and not Uniform Server itself...

• 1 month later...

Pehaps a third party program was interfering.

Port 80 isn't a rare port, so it could be that.

A few times with unbranded USB sticks I have used. I get what I call "Bad mounts" where I will insert a USB stick and it will mount and appear to work. However, nothing can be done with it, not even read, it just appears too. I haven't had this problem with "branded" USB drives such as crucial or PNY, so it might be the sticks.

I haven't tried much with USB sticks with Linux, so I haven't had the problem with it. But I do get it on Windows XP and 2000.

Known Languages:
adv-XHTML, int-PHP, int-SQL, int-CSS, beg-Python

Currently reading: Take off in Japanese, How to play popular piano in 10 easy lessons, The Magicians' Guild
Currently learning: Python, Piano, Japanese
Current project: Relaxing
Currently playing: FalcHedgehog.gif

For MrOnline: that onely happens when you login as Guest or with a limited account.

For Falc: I don't think something was blocking the port. If it was, the server won't start, talk less save on it.

I did some research today using a Windows 98 machine and a USB memory device.

On this machine for some bizzare reason plugging the USB stick (with Uniform Server "installed") Uniform Server won't run.

Unplugging it and plugging it back in makes it work.

I'm gonna look into it again later, I don't know why it does this.

Known Languages:

Currently reading: Take off in Japanese, How to play popular piano in 10 easy lessons, The Magicians' Guild

Hehe. I suppose so but I think I should help users who do not have Windows XP yet.... :)

Anyway, I took a look at it this morning and I installed the official USDrivers from the ASUS website (seing as the motherboard is an ASUS) and I haven't been able to reproduce the error. So I kinda found and fixed a problem now.

Known Languages:

• 2 weeks later...