The Uniform Server Community

MySQL x64

TSoft

This is my first post - I hope it has not been covered elsewhere. I searched for the above topic title but the system did not return any results.

I am setting up a new web server on a 64-bit Windows 2008 standard server running a single Nehalem processor (4-core 2.93 GHz, 6GB RAM, 4-drive RAID-10 (300GB 15k drives)). The board has room for another processor and more RAM, but that will have to be reserved for a future upgrade. With hyper-threading enabled on this processor, it shows up as eight processors in task manager.

I am serving up a 45GB database, and feel strongly that the 32-bit version will impose arbitrary limitations (4GB maximum RAM), when a 64-bit system eliminates that limitation completely (albeit only up to the point of maximum physical RAM).

I would like very much to run MySQL x64 version 5.4.

What would be the best way to incorporate a different version of any of the components within a Uniform Server implementation?

An interesting post however I do not see an issue.

Uniform Server 4.3 should work on a 64Bit machine give it a spin.

The only restriction as you rightly point out is the ability for any component to address the maximum amount of memory space.

MySQL x64 can utilise this address space hence download the zip version and copy over the appropriate files to UniServer. Note copy mysqld.exe across and rename it mysqld-opt.exe (historical reasons)

Check the recommend configuration file in the download against UniServer’s.

The minimum memory for Innodb I would think need changing and possibly a few other parameters.

Although other components are not 64K its not an issue since communication with the MySQL server is via http.

Basically give it a go should work with a little tweaking

All the best

Ric :)

Ric,

Thanks for the reply, and the recommendations. I will give it a try and report back.

I did not mean to suggest that The Uniform Server might not run on my x64 box, just that it might benefit from having an x64 option. With even x64 laptops all over the place, it seems that x64 will be supplanting the venerable 32-bit OS soon, and - since databases tend to run better with more disk (speed and capacity), processor (speed and cores), and memory (size and speed) - it seems natural to expect an x64 version of The Uniform Server to be coming out soon.

Just a little more info on MySQL x64. It seems that MySQL 5.4 (including x64) has improvements that are actually even more significant that "just" enhanced memory utilization... While looking for the download on Google, I found an article that suggests that 5.4 will actually allow MySQL to fully utilize my processor, and even a second Nehalem processor if/when that upgrade occurs.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/25/sun_mysql_5_4/

Sun says that MySQL 5.4 will scale to 16 cores (or threads if they have simultaneous multithreading) on x64 systems and will scale to 64 cores (or threads) on multithreaded Sparc servers. In the current MySQL 5.1 using the InnoDB storage engine, MySQL can only span as far as four cores."

"These are exciting times, if what [the] Oracle says is true" (a slightly modified, heavily plagiarized 'near' quote from the Matrix, borrowing heavily on the fact that Oracle purchased Sun Microsystems and Sun Microsystems purchased MySQL - so [the] Oracle... never mind).

What do you suppose will be the fate of MySQL? Since Oracle sells their own database products, do you believe that this will simply be an avenue for them to play in the consumer-database-type-arena, or do you think they will try to get people to migrate to some level of an Oracle database?

It looks like Oracle (now owning Java, MySQL, the Sun hardware, etc.) is about to take over the world!