The Uniform Server Community

Installation Help 4.0, Tables?

nojiri

Hi. I'm a total newb with Uniform Server, but I'd like to set it up and load my Joomla! site into it so I can do presentations of the site from my laptop in places where I have no internet connection. I've followed Joomadesk's tutorial's instructions for installation, but now I'm at a point where the tutorial doesn't match what's actually happening on the screen. Here's what I've done:

1) Downloaded 4.0 zip, extracted to a file on my desktop.

2) Started the server by clicking on Server_Start

3) Clicked on "run MySQL". It was already running.

4) Clicked on "phpMyAdmin"

5) Created a database, named it "demo"

At this point, the tutorial is asking me to set user priveleges, but I don't get the screen they say I should have. The screenshot below is where I'm at.

When I click on the "demo" database to the left, it defaults to the "Structure" tab and tells me to create a new table in the "demo" database. What table am I supposed to create here?

What are the next steps to finishing the installation and setup?

How do I load a copy of my live site into Uniform Server?

Uniform Server 4.0

Joomla! 1.5.9

Thank you very much for any help!

- nojiri

post-3449-1236562877_thumb.jpg

The reason your intructions screenshot looks different is most likely because 4.0 ships with phpMyAdmin version 3 and your instructions are for version 2.

Can't help you with Joomala because I don't use it but the steps should be the same, you just need to look for the moved labels.

Creating new users has moved from the main page to the "Privileges Tab" on the top row for example.

But as far as installation, something as popular as Joomala should have an installation script

Have alook at the Wiki:

Installing Joomla on 4.0-Mona

All the best

Ric :)

Ric, thanks; that's an excellent Wiki. I've got basic Joomla installed now, but have 2 questions:

1) At the end of the article, it states:

> "Two paths (Z:) are hard coded these need to be converted to relative paths as follows:"

Why is this necessary, and what changes when they become relative paths?

2) What do I need to do to get my live site running on Uniform Server? I FTP'd my whole "Public HTML (Root)" folder into a folder on my desktop, in case I need to copy that into my udrive/www folder.

Thanks!

- nojiri

1) Hard coded paths:

If you are running only a single server there is no need to change the lines.

However running multi-servers the first will use drive letter Z and the next drive Y and so on. If the second contained your Joomla installation it would fail because of the hard coding (requires drive z: but this server is now running on drive y: ). Removing the hard coding makes the path relative and hence drive letter independent.

2) “What do I need to do to get my live site running on Uniform Server? I FTP'd my whole "Public HTML (Root)" folder into a folder on my desktop, in case I need to copy that into my udrive/www folder.”

Not really an easy question to answer there are three parts to this process, export database from live server, import this database into Mona. If needed pick-up any missing folders and files from your downloaded public root and copy to Mona.

A] Live server database export:

I am assuming you have access to phpMyAdmin to export Joomla database.

Export:

a) Login to phpMyAdmin

b] Select Joomla database (menu on the left)

c) Click the export tab (top of screen) – opens export page

d) Under “Export” section select all, make sure "SQL" is selected

e) Under “Structure” section

Check Structure box – checked by default.

Check “Add DROP Table”

Check “Add IF NOT EXISTS”

Check “Enclose table…” – checked by default

Un-Check “Add CREATE PROCEDURE…” – Un-checked bydefault

e) Under “Add into comments” leave the three boxes un-checked.

f) Under “Data” – These are defaults and should work:

Check “Data”

Un-check “Complete inserts”

Un-check “ Extended inserts”

“Maximal length of created query” you may need to change this 50000

Un-check “Use delayed inserts”

Un-check “Use ignore inserts”

Check “Use hexadecimal for BLOB”

From the drop-down menu select REPLACE

g) Under “Save as file”

Check “Save as file”

Un-check “ Save on server in /etc/phpmyadmin/ directory”

Un-check “Overwrite existing file(s) “

Compression select “NONE” radio button

h) Click “Go” – After a time you will receive a pop-up allowing you to save file to your PC. File will be named something like name-db_date.sql this is required in the next step

B] Uniform Server - Import

Note: Copy your existing server to a new folder and do a test run on that.

Import:

a) Start Uniform Server Mona

b] From Apanel’s left menu select phpMyAdmin

c) Select your Joomla database

d) Select “Import” tab (top middle) – Opens import page

e) Click the ”Browse” button, navigate to where you saved the above file and select it

f) Make sure Format of imported file “SQL” radio button is selected

g) Click “Go”

Check your Joomla site is accessible.

C] Missing files:

You need to match the content of folders from your live server and either copy or create new folders as appropriate on Mona in the Joomla folder. For example uploaded images will have been saved to your live server in Joomla’s image default folder.

Note: If you have added any plugins the above can be painful. However if the versions of Joomla are identical you could try the following:

Close the servers, copy the following file UniServer\udrive\www\joomla\configuration.php to a location outside of the joomla folder. Copy your live server content over the existing Mona Joomla installation and let it overwrite any files. Copy file configuration.php back to its original location and with luck everything will work.

All the best

Ric :)

Ric,

Thanks for the great instructions. My site is now running on Mona. I had a lot of components, modules, and plugins, so I decided to just install all the one I need to demo the site. Not everything is showing up the way it does on my online site, but it's close enough for demo-ing.

Thanks again.

Cheers! - nojiri

Hi nojiri, :)

I think this might be helpful to you. have used this myself about 150 times it's Brilliant :)

The best thing you can do is install JoomlaPack (Backup)

1) Download JoomlaPack2.x ZIP from here http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jpack/frs/ you will also need to download the Kickstart 2.1 ZIP

2) Install JoomlaPack Componant into your live site

3) Once installed go to, Components > JoomlaPack > Backup Now (leave all settings as default no need to change any settings) scroll to the bottom of the page and then hit Backup, once it starts backing up your site do not press anything or hit the back button wait until you see, Back up Successful

4) FTP Into your live site go to, administrator\components\com_joomlapack\backup and download your backup ZIP

5) Ok once downloaded go to the machine were you are going to setup the demo, create a database on Uniform Server and call it the same or anything you like

6) Place your backup ZIP folder inside your empty website folder along with the Kickstart ZIP, make sure there is nothing in there

7) Only extract the kickstart ZIP

8) Open your browser and go to your NEW website http://localhost

9) You will then see 3 files, Your backup zip, kickstart zip and your Kickstart.php click on Kickstart.php and follow the instructions on the screen

This will install a complete backup of your site and your database no need to do anything, all components will be installed as well

You now have a complete duplicate of your website you can demo

Hope this helps :)

Danny

Personal website

Uniform Server - hMail Server - Joomla

Hey Danny H.,

Thanks for the suggestion. I already use JoomlaPack on my live site, so that will be handy. I just downloaded Kickstart and will try to copy the site with your suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

- nojiri

Hi nojiri, :)

I think this might be helpful to you. have used this myself about 150 times it's Brilliant...

You now have a complete duplicate of your website you can demo

Hope this helps :)

Danny

Hey Danny,

Thanks! Your right, it is brilliant; excellent method. I now have an exact dulpicate of my live site on Mona.

For anyone else who might copy a Joomla site onto Mona with DannyH's method, here are a few minor clarifications:

> 6) Place your backup ZIP folder inside your empty website folder along with the Kickstart ZIP, make sure there is nothing in there

Since I already had a copy of my site in a folder in "Uniserver>udrive>www" called "joomla," I created a new folder in "Uniserver>udrive>www" and named it "sitedemo"

> 8) Open your browser and go to your NEW website http://localhost

I pointed my browser to: http://localhost/sitedemo

> 9) You will then see 3 files, Your backup zip, kickstart zip and your Kickstart.php click on Kickstart.php and follow the instructions on the screen

After clicking on Kickstart.php, from the dropdown menu I selected my site backup ZIP (the default on the dropdown menu was the Kickstart ZIP).

In the site restoration process with JoomlaPack, I made sure I specified the newly created database, user, and password, as opposed to the default entries from my live site.

Thanks again Danny,

- nojiri