The Uniform Server Community

How to modify 'ulimit' for Perl ?

micmoren

Hi,

I am using US43 Mona with Perl and i have a perl process using more than 2 Go of memory (using module gedcom.pm for genealogy).

The process is broken by an "out of memory"

This is set by 'Ulimit'

Have you a simple solution to put ulimit > 2 Go ?

Config. :

Windows XP SP3

US43 Mona

available memory : 3 Go

micmoren

I think you may be out of luck on this one. This is most likely a 32-bit limit problem, and I'd be surprised if the ActivePerl Win32 version would allow addresses past the 2^31 limit. But I may be wrong....

In any case, there may be other parts with 32-bit limits as well that keep things from running as you wish.

The real question is why you need to have all 2 Go in memory at once. Is there a way you can break up the data into smaller blocks?

Regards,

BobS

I think you may be out of luck on this one. This is most likely a 32-bit limit problem, and I'd be surprised if the ActivePerl Win32 version would allow addresses past the 2^31 limit. But I may be wrong....

In any case, there may be other parts with 32-bit limits as well that keep things from running as you wish.

The real question is why you need to have all 2 Go in memory at once. Is there a way you can break up the data into smaller blocks?

Regards,

BobS

Thank you for your answer.

I'm trying by now to break up in three blocks for ActivePerl Win32, and it seems to be the quickest solution.

regards,

micmoren