The Uniform Server Community

css fails to use symbol font under Uniserver 3.3

twpmarket

First, thank you, thank you, thank you for Uniserver. Downloaded, installed and running my website in less than 5 hours. Fantastic job Olajide!

Next, I've done a php website, using Dreamweaver UD4 and php handcode. I use the Firefox browser and it normally displays the "symbols" font. When viewing pages from the Uniserver localhost, it fails to display that font only. The other css attributes work fine, but that font fails.

I have my css styles file located in a folder below "www" on the server. I tried using the css folder provided by the installation, which is above the "www" folder, but this conflicted with my DW developement directory structure. Note that most of the css attributes DO work, just that font alone does not display.

Has anyone had a similar problem and can anyone suggest where to look to solve it?

What font is this? and what type of font is it? Please note that not all fonts work with browsers.. some of them have to be integrated into a web page using WEFT i think... but i will look further into this.

It is a TrueType font (symbol.ttf) in my Win2000 font list.

This is a greek letter alphabet that I use for my business logo.

I assume (perhaps I'm wrong?) that the server can utilize the windows fonts if installed, which they are on my machine.

Loaded question: How do I install other fonts on Uniform Server?

Thanks for the assist.

What font is this? and what type of font is it? Please note that not all fonts work with browsers.. some of them have to be integrated into a web page using WEFT i think... but i will look further into this.

2204[/snapback]

umm... is your problem the fact that the font show on your PC and not other PCs?

If other PCs dont have that font, it wont work. The seerver does not load fonts. No server does.... You have to find a way to integrate that font into the page.. like using WEFT 3.0 from MS.

The font works on other, outside, servers, but not on the localhost installation of Uniform Server. I also notice a difference between the font as shown on my real website host and on my local computer. I'll look into WEFT, thanks for the pointer. I did a workaround and replaced my use of that font with a image instead of plain text. I't a kludge but it looks better than nothing.

thanks again

umm... is your problem the fact that the font show on your PC and not other PCs?

If other PCs dont have that font, it wont work. The seerver does not load fonts. No server does.... You have to find a way to integrate that font into the page.. like using WEFT 3.0 from MS.

2210[/snapback]

No problem... but stiill, i wonder how it works on other servers.. are you sure that the PC you were viewing it on did not have that font installed..? Servers don't load fonts.. they dont enter your font directory and load the font for users to see it... the user has to have that font on their PC for it to work....

Based on my limited testing, on UniServer localhost and an outside commercial host which runs my public website. It works on the commercial server but fails on my local machine when running Uniform Server.

It (css styles sheet) works on my Firefox browser during development off-line, but fails for that one font when I run my code under UniServer. It may fail for other fonts, but I don't have time for an exhaustive test...

Apparently local fonts are not visible to the Uniserver?

PS Good luck on your move, no envy here.

No problem... but stiill, i wonder how it works on other servers.. are you sure that the PC you were viewing it on did not have that font installed..? Servers don't load fonts.. they dont enter your font directory and load the font for users to see it... the user has to have that font on their PC for it to work....

2220[/snapback]

:lol: Thanks...

About this, i will look into it... it could be an Apache module that is not installed with Uniform Server but needed for this to work....