The Uniform Server Community

MySQL Workbench?

Heinz Stapff

I downloaded, installed MySQL Workbench and ran it but can't conect to Uniserver with 'New server Instance wizard' as localhost. Is this because Apache MySQL is uncompatible or am I doing something wrong. Uniserver is running but may not be as a service? I had to use run_ondrive_w.bat to run it in windows xp sp3 because I couldn't figure out how to install it to a file path without spaces. Any help greatly appreciated. Am I even in the ball park? I'm trying to create a database.

I figured it out and got conected with MySQL Workbench 'New server instance' wizard localhost, click next button, when password dialogue box pops up enter 'root' and presto your in action. Should be able to set up base schema now. Two hours latter. Hope anybody else gets this post, I was litterally going postal.

OOPS![/u]

not resolved! After hiting the next button in MySQL Workbench when all the conections are checked correctly a popup alert stating that MySQL server must be installed as a service and obviously not as a program. Does anybody know how to install Uniserver on Windows XP sp3 as a service? I couldn't figure out how to put it in a folder without file name spaces which is requiered to run Uniserver as a service!? I think. Any help greatly appreciated.

:( megan I just figured out you can use it to create the database but the real issue was running MySQL Uniserver as a service on my pc.

I originaly had a test site folder in MyDocs and foolishly downloaded Uniserver.exe to that folder thinking it would be easier to move files etc. Windows Xp Pro SP3 has spaces in 'My Docs' etc. file paths. Uniserver could not run as a service in this environment. All link file paths would have to be double quoted to make it work as a service and the true beauty of Uniserver, portability, would never be obtained. Also MSQL Workbbench required that MySQL ran as a service, not a program.

I deleted the Uniserver folder in the site folder and moved the Uniserver.exe to USB thumb drive 7.44GB Kingston Data Traveler USB2.0.

Clicked the Uniserver.exe and installed to D:/ wich has no spaces in file paths when running in XP. :blink: Clicked on Start.bat and the Uniserver Tray icon poped up no problem which meant that you can run both MySQL and Apache as a service.

After runing them as services I opened MySQL Workbench and a Server Instance was already loaded. mysqld. The new problem is that it links directly to my.ini in the Uniserver folders on D:/ and now have to decide wheather or not to add tables, shemas etc. to an already loaded database folder which I take it are the files that phpAdmin modifies to create the database.

Please let me know if it is easier to use phpadmin to create databases. I'm totaly in the dark and MySQL Workbench has a learning curb. :(

HI here - I personally find phpmyadmin easier to use than workbench but I think that's because I am used to phpmyadmin and haven't taken the time to learn workbench there are tutorials at http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/phpmyadmin/ but all you have to go is google for phpmyadmin tutorial or go to youtube and do a search - as for setting up uniserver as a service have you tried the wiki http://wiki.uniformserver.com

Heinz,

Like Megan, I'm still confused as to why you want to use MySQL Workbench with The Uniform Server. It's never mentioned in The Uniform Server docs. Perhaps because it's usually available with MySQL? But phpMyAdmin is also usually available as well.

In any case, the easiest installation of US is to the root of a drive. The extraction creates the UniServer folder for you, which makes life quite simple. This avoids the problems of paths with spaces in the name.

Secondly, as you now know, the Start.exe program shows as the tray icon, and this has two action screens depending on whether you right- or left-click. By right-clicking, you show the install-as-service menu, which is announced by the graphic UService on the left.

However, I suggest you NOT use this to start. As a beginner, you're much better off doing a left-click and using the UStandard menu, running the servers as programs.

Another reason for doing this is that for various good reasons, UniServer changes the names of the server programs, so that mysqld is NOT the name of the running process. This will definitely confuse MySQL Workbench (and you), even though there's an easy way of resolving this, as well.

The third problem you ran into concerns the search order MySQL uses to find the "correct" my.ini file. It is too easy to get confused with this (personal experience speaking). The BEST spot (IMHO) is in the mysql directory. This allows for running multiple copies of MySQL, while any other location creates tremendous problems.

While the Wiki may not be the most organized (as of now; I'm starting major revisions), it has a wealth of information for beginners.

Regards,

BobS

BobS Thank you too and I've just downloaded the pdf recomended by megan and I would say that the difference between the two at first glance, is that Workbench actually uses columns not fields as terminology. Insert rows etc. are far easier to use though not that clear at least they appear directly under the column headers/fields and not as separate tab inputs?

Also, I personally find writing any script including sql in a scrollable text area not an input box a lot easier though this maybe applicable in phpadmin it isn't clear how to do it. I haven't completely tried either programs so I'm a little in the dark though I do believe that when you obtain any ability you should be able to write the complete db script in yourself. Both programs may or may not have this ability directly. Workbench allows you to do this in the wizard popup pages for each step.

Another reason for doing this is that for various good reasons, UniServer changes the names of the server programs, so that mysqld is NOT the name of the running process. This will definitely confuse MySQL Workbench (and you), even though there's an easy way of resolving this, as well.

I guess your telling me that when running Uniserver on Windows XP as a service screws up the name of the process and that I should run it as a program to get it right. However I'd like to know what the fix is to run it as a service?

Thanks again for your help.

I guess your telling me that when running Uniserver on Windows XP as a service screws up the name of the process and that I should run it as a program to get it right. However I'd like to know what the fix is to run it as a service?

Actually, that's not quite right.

My first point was that for learning purposes, running as a program was simpler, since there are less interconnected configuration problems.

Running as a service is just as easily done, but you MAY have other problems to contend with. I cited the name difference as one of them.

There really isn't a "fix" to running as a service. Just choose to RIGHT-click on the tray icon.

I suggest you take a look at this Wiki article: http://wiki.uniformserver.com/index.php/5....Install_and_Run This has pictures and detailed information about starting as a service.

Regards,

BobS

Thanks again BobS

I'm runing MySQL fine as a program now that Uniserver is installed in D:/ actuall it always did as a program.

I also have Workbench running fine though after the first Forward Engineering process the Forward Engeering option disapeared from Home/Database/options so I wasn't able to submit another revision. I'm wondering if it will let me when I restart Workbench as I might have to change the data engines back to MyISAM from InnoDB?

Stranglley enough, if you new enough sql you can use the comand line prompt from Workbench by right clicking Home/Conection and clicking Comand line in the popup menu. The help tutorial showed you how to and you have to enter the Uniserver password before you can enter sql comands like FROM MYDB; SHOW TABLES; etc. It was recomended as a test of the Forward Engeneering.

The other thing you mentioned about phpadmin not using InnoDB, does that mean PHP scripts can't be used on InnoDB or just that they won't be applicable via phpadmin? That I really do have to know. :(