The Uniform Server Community

Good pop/smtp server

elyk

Does anyone know of a mail server that works with the uniform server? Basically, I want something that will receive email sent to a domain pointed to my ip. Ideally, it would also allow pop3 and smtp access as well.

Install it and if it asks to install a new MySQL server say NO. Let it used the default MySQL server that comes with the Uniform Server. You know the variables, like username and password so everything should be easy. The MySQL port is 3306 if you do not know.. :)

If any error, reply here or at the hMaiServer Forum. The developer knows about our server and also i talked to him once :D

• 1 month later...

You can set php to use SMTP, or you can download small/mini sendmail.

It will port the sendmail to an SMTP server like hMailServer.

I have never tried it before.. but u can give it a try.... it is called small or mini sendmail... I believe... :rolleyes:

Development of Mecury Mail has been stopped and i do not recommend it because of that. I still say, hMailServer....

The developers of Mecury also has a new one i believe called Pegasus or something.... check that one out...

Here is the site: http://glob.com.au/sendmail

I will also try and write a tutorial on how to install it but that may be next month or never, unless i get time.. :rolleyes:

Development of Mecury Mail has been stopped and i do not recommend it because of that. I still say, hMailServer....

The developers of Mecury also has a new one i believe called Pegasus or something.... check that one out...

484[/snapback]

Pegasus is the Mail Client written by the developers of Mercury Mail Server.. lol :rolleyes:

Here is the site: http://glob.com.au/sendmail

I will also try and write a tutorial on how to install it but that may be next month or never, unless i get time..  ;)

496[/snapback]

*works out a strategy to make Olajide reveal some of his Mail Server Tutorial plans*

For Mini Sendmail (or Blat), all you have to do is edit sendmail_path, but why not just set SMTP to a valid Mail Server?

Correct me if I'm wrong :angry:

Edited by MrX

• 4 weeks later...
Try using the hMailServer over at http://www.hmailserver.com.

It is our main/recommended Mail Server here :D or at least by me B)

142[/snapback]

Can you give me a tutorial on how to get this working? I am using PHPBB2, the latest uniserver (3.2)

I still can't get it to accept message, and relay them. I have tried my ISP's smtp account, my friends account, one at gmail, one at hotpop, and a couple others.

Could you give some really basic instructions on how to get it relaying?

It is easy to install and i don't think it needs much of anything..

Just install it to your computer and when you reach the point where it asks you to install a new version of MySQL say no and it should ask which MySQL installtion to use, it is there that you start the server and point it to W:/usr/local/mysql/ and everything should be OK...

If you need further help just start a new support thread.

• 1 month later...

I personally have been quite pleased with DNSMadeEasy.com

They offer Imap/Pop as well as SMTP for really cheap (something like 25/year for imap/pop, under 10bucks for SMTP)

You would only have to point your domain's MX records to their servers (which offer 5x redundancy) to get all emails directed there... It's really quite easy.

• 2 weeks later...
hmailserver works fine in out look but it doesnt work for php send mail...

That's not correct. hMailServer works fine with the PHP mail() function if that's what you're talking about. By default, hMailServer requires authentication when sending email. Of some obscure reason that I'm not aware of, PHP mail() doesn't support this, even if's been in the SMTP-standard for years. But you can easily override this hMailServer requirement by modifying the IP ranges so that authentication isn't required from the web server. (Simply de-select Require authentication for deliveries for the IP range that matches your web server).

/ Martin (the hMailServer developer)

wow.. I am honored :D :P

Do you think there is something we can plan to have it as a plugin for Uniform Server...

Since it is not mobile and needs to write to the C:/Windows and so on...

Just a few comments from me. :P

Since hMailServer 4.0, the installation do not have to write to C:\Windows\hMailServer.ini any more. In previous versions, the file hMailServer.ini (that pointed out what database to use and directory information) was stored here. But in 4.0 (and of-course any future version), hMailServer.ini is stored in the Bin directory, (normally C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Bin).

But there are still some COM objects that are needed by the installation, and hMailServer must run as a service to run properly. If the COM objects aren registered, hMailAdmin won't work. And without hMailAdmin, you cant add/edit/delete domains/accounts which makes it a bit unusable..

Would be nice to hear what would be needed for it to be considered "mobile"? No service registration and no need for COM registration?

No worries, i still think that installing the real package will be better and it won't cause problems and confusion. I mean it is really easy to install and use.... I will see if i can make a tutorial Video on it :D :P

Thanks again Martin.

• 1 month later...

Hiya's, I followed what you were saying but then putting it into practice kinda went kaput >.<

Umm, I've looked through hMailServer's forum and 1 guy got it working, but I think he is long gone and left no email address :(

I have the programes installed but I don't think they are talking to each other correctly. Because when I go to use my mail() function it spits back at me Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in W:\www\email.php on line 18

I'm really in a pickle..

Anyhelp would be leg-end!

Lothop