The Uniform Server Community

Forum creation

Olivier

Hello,

not very sure where to place my topic :D .

I am currently running a free forum based on PhPbb :( (more than 600 members). The hosting does not allow me enough flexibilty :angry: so I do envisage to move away :( .

Does Uniformserver offer a solution for forum creation and maintenance?

Thank you.

What do you mean? If you want to create your own forum system, you can using PHP and MySQL. If you would like to install other forum systems like phpBB or IPB, yes you can do that. :D

You can run your phpBB on the Uniform Server. All you have to do is copy all the file from your current provider to the server's and then export the database to the imported into the MySQL installtion on the Uniform Servers'

:angry:

If you still need help reply. If you need help with phpBB, you can also reply here and i will get a good friend of mine who runs the Danish support site fior phpBB to come and help you. :(

Thanks

Ah, 1 little note - you'll need the PHP4 plugin too, as all other developer systems UniServer has moved to the PHP5 platform. phpBB does not support PHP5 yet - that won't fully happen till next version is released.

But indeed, uniserver is excellent for running a development copy (or 5) of your live forum(s) or website(s) - I do that with mine.

Ah, 1 little note - you'll need the PHP4 plugin too, as all other developer systems UniServer has moved to the PHP5 platform. phpBB does not support PHP5 yet - that won't fully happen till next version is released.

But indeed, uniserver is excellent for running a development copy (or 5) of your live forum(s) or website(s)  - I do that with mine.

396[/snapback]

OK, since I am to be considered as a newby :rolleyes: , where should I start :unsure: .

Because I see that here we are under "Invision board" ;) ...

Thank you.

Olivier

See what i said. I personally have tested all of them. From phpBB to IPB and i prefer IPB though i hate them now for backstabbing us and taking away the free version.

I had to ask someone to help me buy a license for this one :unsure: but no matter, if u prefer phpBB, AlleyKat will help u from head to tail. He runs the danish support site. :rolleyes:

cya.

....if u prefer phpBB, AlleyKat will help u from head to tail. He runs the danish support site. ;)

cya.

409[/snapback]

Hy, thank you for the responses.

I do not prefer PHPBB, but I am looking for something free and easy to maintain.

Moreover, the support site of Alley is in Danish :rolleyes: ...

So let's start the tutorial :unsure: .

I did dowload your last release, now where should I start.

I can PM you my current board address if you want to have a look...

Olivier

First you have to get the PHP 4 Plugin to install on the 3.2 Version of Uniform Server.

After you have installed the plugin, you are ready to run phpBB under PHP 4 since AlleyKat said it won't work under PHP 5.

I will get AlleyKat here for you :rolleyes:

BTW: His site is in Danish, but he speaks english fluently.

OK lets see...

Now, a major concern that I cannot help you with: mailserver. You can run a forum for 600 members on UniServer, but you have to install some kind of mailserver too, to let phpBB send mails such as welcome mails, notifications and mass mails. Olajide can probably help you there.

I myself only use my homeserver for testing purposes, and don't want a mailserver running - no need.

To move your forums to your UniServer - for publishing or development purposes - you'd follow these steps:

1) Copy all files from your website via FTP to your PC in your backup folder.

2) Make a database backup via phpmyadmin (log into phpmyadmin -> click db name in left pane -> click Export tab in right side -> put a mark in Send -> Go, and save file) again just to where you keep your normal backups.

3) Start UniServer, go to phpMyAdmin thru Admin Panel, and make a new DB.

4) Copy your forum files to W:\www\ and open config.php there. Set:

$dbhost = 'localhost';

$dbname = 'THEDATABASENAMEYOUMADE';

$dbuser = 'root';

$dbpasswd = 'root';

(you guess 1 time at what text to change in the above) and save and close the file.

5) Now this is a little tricky... You must restore your database into the one you made in phpMyAdmin. Make a copy of your database backup - I assumed its not packed, if so I suggest unpacking it. If its larger than a few MB, you may very well have to split it into smaller pieces to import. It's fairly easy, if tedious, to split a large .SQL file up in chunks of about 5000-10000 lines a piece. I use context - http://context.cx - for all my notepaddish editing and programming needs.

In phpMyAdmin open the database (click left side) and select the SQL tab. here you can Browse to the file(s) and import (them all in order).

6) Last task: fix server name in DB. Still in phpMyAdmin click your phpbb_config table in left side, Browse in right side and find the field server_name (may be several pages forward) - edit the value of the domain name there to your new home domain - if only for testing, localhost will do.

Phew, thats how! Open http://localhost/index.php and see everything moved!

I hope you're not using one of the hosting companies who even removed the backup function in admin panel. Those are probably one of the reasons there are so many hacking schemes out there trying to get phpBB.

If you can get a database backup, you should be pretty much home safe - the files cn be rebuilt, the users and posts can't.