The Uniform Server Community

Updating help requested please

hommealone

Can someone please advise me about updating Uniform Server?

I am running version UniServer Zero XI 11.0.7 with UniController XI V1.0.6. I run it on a removable HDD. I want to update to the newest version of Uniform Server.

I have two WordPress websites under development on this server, and I want them to continue to operate after I upgrade.

I understand that this can be different in each case, depending on what files may have been altered.

I am including a screenshot of the directory structure of the harddrive and the UniformServer installation. I am pretty certain that I have not made changes to any of the files for the different components, but I am not sure which files may have been created automatically when I installed WordPress for each of the two websites. I don't remember installing any additional modules into the UniformServer (but I s'pose I could be wrong about that!)

I think that I should install the latest version in parallel with the old version, with a different directory name. I'd like specific advice on which folders and/or files that I would copy over from the old version into the new version. Also, please let me know if there is anything MORE that I'd need to do than simply copying files or folders from the old to the new version.

Any advice appreciated, specific instructions especially! Thanks!

UniformServer-installation.jpg

post-6770-0-85141100-1412378894_thumb.jpg

Since you have not changed the server configuration and WordPress is self-contained. Transferring WordPress to a new server is straightforward. The following is one method you can use:

Create Backups;

On the current installation make a backup of each WordPress database.

1 Start UniController and Start MySQL server

2 From the top menu click MySQL tab

3 Click Database backup menu item

4 From list on the left select a WordPress database to back up

5 Click Create backup button

6 Repeat steps 4-5 for other WordPress database

7 Close list, stop MySQL server and close UniController

8 Check you have two backup files in folder UniServerZ\db_backup_restore

9 Rename folder UniServerZ to UniServerZ2 if something goes wrong you can rename this back to the original.

Extract new server

1 Extract the latest version of Uniform Server to the same drive as the original.

2 Copy the two backup files in folder UniServerZ2\db_backup_restore to the new Server folder UniServerZ\db_backup_restore

3 Copy the two WordPress folders in folder UniServerZ2\www to the new server folder UniServerZ\www

4 New server: Start UniController and Start MySQL server

5 From the top menu click MySQL tab

6 Click Database restore menu item

7 From the list select a WordPress database to restore

8 Click Restore button

9 Repeat 7-8 for other database

Start Apache and check your WordPress Sites work as expected.

All the best

Ric

Ric,

Thank you so very much! I really appreciate that you took the time to provide these detailed instruction. Good to know that I should be using the built-in capabilities of MySQL itself to backup and restore the databases, rather than just copying the "data" directory!

I had a hard time finding info online about updating Uniform Server. I know that these instructions won't apply to everybody, but hopefully some other users, with similar installations and usage to mine, will find them helpful as well!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

when i used wordpress, there was a necessary trick to backup or migrate a site: you have to to change the permalinks to numeric form, and not slugs. you can revert to the normal format, once the move is done. because worpress stores in the db the url where its installed. I dont know if this is still an issue, though

• 4 years later...

when i used wordpress, there was a necessary trick to backup or migrate a site: you have to to change the permalinks to numeric form, and not slugs. you can revert to the normal format, once the move is done. because worpress stores in the db the url where its installed. I dont know if this is still an issue, though