The Uniform Server Community

Install for local Host only

I guess I have to put the index.html into the UNISERVER folders but wich ones? Maybe the server package should go into the test site folder first so that the server can only be accessed from there? Possibly with login screen and password etc. I know I'm probably over concerned but I should get it right. Any direction greatly appreciated. :(

UniServer\alternative_control\run_on_drive_w.txt

If you wish to run Uniform Server from a folder containing spaces in its path

copy file run_on_drive_w.bat to folder UniServer double click to start servers.

Using this file creates a virtual drive named W mapping folder UniServer to its

root (top level). This eliminates spaces at the expense of using a free

drive letter.

The above method is suitable only for running servers as a standard program.

Do NOT use this method when installing servers as a service.

Note:

Virtual drive letter assignments are permanent, until either explicitly

released or after a PC restart. To explicitly release drive letter first stop

Uniform Server and run the following batch file: remove_drive_w.bat

I moved the server to the test site folder and got an error: about spaces in file path not permited when I clicked start.exec . I guess that all MyDoc folders would be the same. It asks to create a virtual drive 'W' as that folder and I'd like to know if that is the way to go if I only want to test the site in that folder?

1. How would it affect www on browser or html pages?
  2. How would it affect https or ssl?
  3. Will the browser instance be unseen by others?
  4. Duh, work Off-line?
  5. Have site of same name running on Godaddy?

Also

1. Do Javascript files need to go into secure ssl folders?
  2. CGI scripts in ssl?
  3. Database in ssl?
  4. PHP in ssl? etc.
  5. Are they already protected?

OK.

I MOVED THE UNISERVER BACK TO THE DESCKTOP? WHEN I CLICKED START.EXEC I AM STILL GETTING THE ERROR:UNABLE TO START UNITRAY A SPACE WAS DETECTED IN PATH TO FOLDER ETC.

UNFIFORM SERVER V5-NANO SERIES

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\UniServer

'DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\' SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM WITH THE FILE NAME SPACE SO I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RUN run_on_drive_w.bat IN WHICH EVER FOLDER I RUN THE SERVER FROM IN WINDOWS XP SP3.

THAT MEANS I CAN'T RUN THE SERVER AS A SERVICE?

ANY WAY AROUND THIS?

AGAIN, ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED! COULD I CHANGE 'DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS' TO DOCUMENTS%20AND%20SETTINGS/' OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

Why are you making life so difficult for yourself?

Extract Uniform Server to C drive.

For a test server locked down for local access only there is nothing you need to do.

You can run it as standard program or service.

Putting the servers on-line check this page out regarding MySQL server

http://wiki.uniformserver.com/index.php/MySQL_Security

For other security information check out this page

http://wiki.uniformserver.com/index.php/5....y_%26_passwords

Why are you making life so difficult for yourself?

Extract Uniform Server to C drive.

For a test server locked down for local access only there is nothing you need to do.

You can run it as standard program or service.

Putting the servers on-line check this page out regarding MySQL server

http://wiki.uniformserver.com/index.php/MySQL_Security

For other security information check out this page

http://wiki.uniformserver.com/index.php/5....y_%26_passwords

Thanks Coral,

will check it out. Just downloaded updatede Uniserver 7.0 and tried to delete 5.Nano and realized I have to change all the passwords back to root before I can delete Apache.exe etc. Looks similar including the run_on_drive_w.bat I figured out that you have to double click on that, not start.exe to get it running after you copy it from alternative_controls folder to the Uniserver folder.

Yeah the instructions are light-weight too but they are all there. It never helps to be in a hurry and speed reading through the docs files two or three times hasn't helped this cranium much :(

THANKS AGAIN CORAL,

QUICK READ THROUGH THE LINKS AND REALIZED I WAS PARANOID. I COULD HAVE RUN THE SERVER AND NOT HAD A PROBLEM AT ALL LOCALHOST! I ALSO NOTICED THAT JUST BECAUSE I ADDED THE PASSWORDS IN THE APANEL TO ALL THE SERVER TYPES (MYSQL DIDN'T TAKE BECAUSE NO DATABASE WAS ADDED?) DOSEN'T MEAN THEIR ACTIVATED UNTILL YOU DO SO IN THE APPROPRIATE FILES. AS I AM ONLY TESTING THE SITE LOCALY AND THEN SENDING THE FILES I CREATE TO THE GODADDY SITE.

QUESTION FOR INSTALLING UNISERVER 7.0 OR LATEST UDATE. HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE PREVIOUSE VERSION? WHEN I TRIED TO OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL UNISERVER FOLDER BY MOVING THE NEW ONE TO THE OLD ONES FOLDER IT GAVE AN ERROR:CAN NOT DELETE APACHE.EXE PASSWORD PROTECTED? WHICH I GUESS MEANS THE PASSWORDS I SET THE OTHER DAY NEED TO BE RESET THROUGH THE APANEL BACK TO 'ROOT'? :(

The fastest way to remove UniServer (any version) is to delete the entire directory. However, that also seems to delete the apps, too. :(

To just update UniServer, I usually follow the procedure in this thread: http://forum.uniformserver.com/index.php?s...post&p=8729

Regards,

BobS

boBs

Thanks for the link. I had not acctualy set up the site on the server 5.0 Nano but had changed the db and apache passwords so I was getting the afformentioned error: and had to change the passwords back to root:root before I could delete the Nano server and run the latest server! Will have to use your info next time. Thanks again!