The Uniform Server Community

Customising Uniserver?

Mrs Peel

Hi there, I love the development work you are doing here with this web server package, but I have struck a snag with building a local test site which will eventually have to be hosted on a clients web server which runs older versions of Apache/SQL/PHP.

My clients web host refuses to upgrade their services and they are locked into a long term contract with them. So they only way I can be sure the CMS site I am building for them on my local PC will be compatible with their web host when I migrate it to to their servers is to use exactly the same versions which they are already running.

I need a version of Uniserver which will have versions Apache 1.3.33, MySQL 4.0.24 and PHP 4.3.10.

I see there is already a plugin for PHP 4.3.10, but is it at all possible for me to build my own local version of Uniserver which is using Apache 1.3.33 and MySQL 4.0.24-standard?

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get together a customised Uniserver to the afore-mentioned specs please?

Thanks for reading.

Yes it is but i recommend you not too...

We will be coming out with a Downgrade Apache Plugin For Apache 1.3 soon, though it might not be needed much since Apache 2.1 is coming out soon....

We will also see what we can do about the MySQL Downgrade...

Just have to find a good NSIS Programmer that can help with the plugin installers... and things will become faster.

Thanks

To break it all down for you Mrs Peel, once we get the new developer, the NSIS Programmer, everything we be much faster and better.

From my point of view, we will have tons of plugins and things for people to patch to the server and we will also be getting 2 new versions of the server. The real MiniServer which will be under 1.44MB, if it is possible, and the Max/Pro for those who want everything.

Linux version and other OS will follow there after and some other things, but for now, once we get the new developer, we will be releasing the new plugins which are done but just needs a installer/manual ASAP.

Yes it is but i recommend you not too...

We will be coming out with a Downgrade Apache Plugin For Apache 1.3 soon, though it might not be needed much since Apache 2.1 is coming out soon....

We will also see what we can do about the MySQL Downgrade...

Just have to find a good NSIS Programmer that can help with the plugin installers... and things will become faster.

Thanks

1140[/snapback]

Drat, I keep missing you on IRC.

This is amazing dev work you guys are doing here and I'll be sure to follow your progress closely.

In the meantime however, I need to get a portable test server running to these specs by end of next week. I pretty much custom built the WAMP5 server I have been using up until now by overwriting the versions with the ones that I needed and was kind of hoping I might be able to do something similar here.

Like I said, this webhost is just not going to upgrade to Apache 2 and my clients are locked into a longterm contract with them so I have no other choice but to try and whack something together here for now, even tho you recommend not too.

How much of the components in the current build could I just overwrite with my required versions? And are there very many paths/config I would have to edit?

I am willing to try anything at this stage just to have a portable demo-server I can build them a test site on.

Thanks for reading in.

Catch me on IRC now.... so we can discuss and try and help you... ;)

1143[/snapback]

Yikes these timezones are a PITA, I missed ya again :P

Can you give me an approx time GMT that you are usually hanging out in the channel please? I'm GMT+12 here :D

If i were to give u i might not make it, you tell me the time you can log on so i can.... Tell me in EST please... kinda suck with Timezones.... :P ;)

OK, maybe we should try making some rules, these timezone problems are going from an annoyance to being a problem I think.

Couldn't we all agree on calculating in UTC? That way, noone has any advantage over others, and we can hardly miscalculate times. Maybe Olajide could add a small Java clock showing local (board profile) time and UTC time besides eachother in a header or footer somewhere, making it easier?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/pers...l?cities=69,179 something like this perhaps? (java applet)

Couldn't we all agree on calculating in UTC? That way, noone has any advantage over others, and we can hardly miscalculate times. Maybe Olajide could add a small Java clock showing local (board profile) time and UTC time besides eachother in a header or footer somewhere, making it easier?

Good scheme jelly bean.

UTC (aka GMT) works good for me :P

k.. so what time UTC will u be able to connect to chat? so i can help out... till we have the plugins... :P

1172[/snapback]

I'm in IRC right now, which is UTC 3am if I got my math correct (11pm EST??) ;)

I can be there earlier tho, say ermmmm 12am - 3am UTC :D