The Uniform Server Community

Windows Update Breaks Server

dimo414

I've been running Uniform Server off a USB stick for several months now, and it's worked perfectly. However on 9/14 Windows released new updates, which were automatically installed to my Windows XP SP2. One of those updates crippled the server; whenever I try to run it, either from server_start.bat or from Disk Start.vbs, disk W (or whatever drive name) appears for a few moments in My Computer as a drive icon with a question mark, and then becomes inaccessible.

I uninstalled all the updates installed on 9/14 one by one, and the problem did not resolve itself; however once I restarted, the server began running properly again.

So for now, if people are having trouble with US, simply uninstall the updates from 9/14 in Add/Remove Programs. However, those are security updates, so this should only be a temporary fix; hopefully US will come out with an updated version soon.

UPDATE:

Windows installed the same updates again, so I had to remove them. I restarted after each one I removed, and I belive the update causing the error was from 'Update for Windows XP (KB922582)'.

However, it may have been from uninstalling 'Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)'. I plan to re-install the Security Update and see if the server still works or not.

I can't speak to all the technicalities of the update, but as soon as I uninstalled it my US installation started operating as expected. Thanks for the intermediate fix. Allowed me to finish some work as my hosting provider is having serious issues.

While I'm still not certain; between restarts, uninstallations, and the like; I'm 90% certain it is 'Update for Windows XP (KB922582)' that is throwing the problem.

Did a little research and found this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...D1-3886AFDC6E73

Seem to me like the update is meant to just fix a problem in Filter Manager that prevents you from installting updates from Windows update.

For both of you, can you try going to Command Prompt and running this command:

fltmc.exe

Tell me what it brings out.....

I dont know what is cauing this or why this update should be affecting the server.... Uniform Server does not use or install any minifilters.

I'll run that command when I get home (the Windows 2000 I'm on now works fine). It seems to me that the problem has to do with the creation of the W drive. I don't know enough to diagnose beyond that, but it seems the update stops US from creating the new drive (or possibly keeping it open).

The W drive is created with SUBST... Fake drive....

Lets see if thats the problem...

Create a file called Make.bat, and copy the following into the file:

@echo off

set Disk=%1
IF "%Disk%"=="" set Disk=W
echo Making the "W:" drive 
subst %Disk%: "C:\Program Files"
echo Made the "W:" drive 
pause
:end

Create another file called Kill.bat, and put this in there:

@echo off

set Disk=%1
IF "%Disk%"=="" set Disk=W
echo Killing the "W:" drive 
subst %Disk%: /D
echo Killed the "W:" drive 
pause
:end

Did it create the W:/ Drive? Use the Kill.bat to stop the drive.

Looked at my PC and laptop.... have it installed, but no problems.....

I ran 'fltmc.exe' and a command prompt appeared, and dissapered before I could see if anything was in it.

When I run Make.bat, it outputs:

Making the "W:" drive
Made the "W:" drive
Press any key to continue . . .

but just like Server_Start.bat, MyComputer takes a while to load (the little flashlight-searching icon shows up) and there isn't a W drive. Seems like as soon as the drive is created, it's destroyed.

Update

Scratch that, a few moments after My Computer displays, the W drive shows up.

Yes. But as soon as I removed that update, everything worked great.

wdtunes, have you tried to optimize your XP in any way? Changing settings or disabling services to get it to run faster? I've occasionaly run into problems because I've disabled some Windows Services that I didn't need, and then later installed software I needed. This is completly hypothetical, but perhaps some combination of the Windows Update and the Services I've disabled is causing the problem.

olajideolaolorun, does Uniform Server use any special Windows Services? Or is there anything else I may have disabled to improve performance that the Update has now made me need?

I really can't tel... I know it needs the RPC or soemthing like that services and some other internet connectivity services... The other programs, what are they?

I have gone through every service that it could possibly rely on and tried various configurations. Nothing working. Any more thoughts? I could really use this tool. Saves me from having to run a separate machine for testing, and saves time uploading to test. Any help is greatly appreciated!

wdtunes, have you tried to optimize your XP in any way? Changing settings or disabling services to get it to run faster? I've occasionaly run into problems because I've disabled some Windows Services that I didn't need, and then later installed software I needed. This is completly hypothetical, but perhaps some combination of the Windows Update and the Services I've disabled is causing the problem.

olajideolaolorun, does Uniform Server use any special Windows Services? Or is there anything else I may have disabled to improve performance that the Update has now made me need?

Hi there,

I've been trying to get this to work but am encountering the same problems...

the make and kill batch files work fine (i can see a replicate of my program files)

... the W drive gets created, it's only when i try to run the server_start.bat file that i notice this happening...

- the drive gets created and everything works

- IE opens up and asks to allow activeX

- if you look at windows explorer, the drive that was created dissapears (like windows shutting it down)

I've tried to remove the windows update, but it's still the same to me :rolleyes:

so i'm pretty much stuck... i did check the event log and found that the Service Control Manager comes up everytime i run server_start.bat

updates:

I was looking through the other threads in this forum and found a reply from MrX

Look for a file called LIBMYSQL.DLL in your C:\WINDOWS\ or C:\WINDOWS\system32\ (or any other folder in your %PATH% environment variable), if you have it in there, delete it.

Also, make sure you do not have Skype running, if you do, enter the settings to change the port for your incoming to something else other than port 80.

and i realised that i DO use skype... shut skype down and viola... US is now running for me... :D

i'm a happy person now... :)

Just a quick note:

The port conflict is not going to go away this page is worth a quick scan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_a...DP_port_numbers

When I first saw skype using port 80 I threw my arms up in disbelief at the lack of adherence to standards, port 80 is effectively written in stone.

:rolleyes: