The Uniform Server Community

MySQL ini or conf file default location?

markettwp

I find that MySQL wants to search the boot drive (usually C:/windows or C:/winnt) to find the my.ini or my.conf files. If I want to boot from a USB flash drive, on a system where the C: drive is blocked for security purposes ( for instance a public library computer system or a thin client which boots from the network server and has no local C: drive...), I would like to have MySQL search the installation volume (such as the flash drive), in addition to or in exchange for the system boot drive.

Is this possible? Can it be done without rebuilding the MySQL kernal? I have not found any description of where the .ini or .conf file location can be edited by the administrator. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Uniform Server is said to be "dustless", so how do you avoid leaving the MySQL .ini or .conf files on the system boot drive?

UniformServer 5.x, CodeIgniter, Gimp. What else could anyone want?

I have not used US under such restrictive envorioments hence have no advice on this situation.

I have not found any description of where the .ini or .conf file location can be edited by the administrator. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The config files are just text files you can edit these there are no restrictions. Where to find them, well have a rummage around this site start at this page:

http://center.uniformserver.com/uniserver/...check_list.html

Uniform Server is said to be "dustless", so how do you avoid leaving the MySQL .ini or .conf files on the system boot drive?

Yes it is "dustless" meaning that no enteries are required in the regestry for its operation. It uses a virtual drive using the DOS command SUBST take a look at this page.

http://center.uniformserver.com/uniserver/...rver_intro.html

It strikes me that the restrictive environment is not allowing batch files to be executed with the result that the virtual drive is never set up.

:)

I have not used US under such restrictive envorioments hence have no advice on this situation.

The config files are just text files you can edit these there are no restrictions. Where to find them, well have a rummage around this site start at this page:

http://center.uniformserver.com/uniserver/...check_list.html

Yes it is "dustless" meaning that no enteries are required in the regestry for its operation. It uses a virtual drive using the DOS command SUBST take a look at this page.

http://center.uniformserver.com/uniserver/...rver_intro.html

It strikes me that the restrictive environment is not allowing batch files to be executed with the result that the virtual drive is never set up.

:)

Yes, you are correct about the config files and the inability to run batch files in the restricted situation (see my post under the "open discussion" forum. It is possible to run Apache and PHP under these restricted conditions, however the MySQL config files are a stopper unless they can be relocated to the flash drive AND be found by MySQL at startup. I find reference to the behaviour of MySQL which says it "should" search the install drive for config files, but it does not seem to behave that way in reality.

I was hoping that there was a "config(config)" file that specifies the startup location for the config files, but no luck so far, if this even exists. It is a problem for some instances that I hope is addressed in the future.

Thanks for the feedback anyway...

UniformServer 5.x, CodeIgniter, Gimp. What else could anyone want?