The Uniform Server Community

not sure

Madkat

im not sure if it goes in here, but i thought id post it in here because its apache i was looking for...

im just a noob to all this with apache and the only reason i was interested was so that i could learn php/mysql without using a lot of bandwidth and i also like to develope my work offline.

information that might be helpful ( i dont know really what would be but...) im running 98se and am using the 3.1 version.

anyway, my problem is that whenever i turn on the server, it works fine, until i try to turn it off... when i open stop.pif, the apache/mysql/pearl prompt comes up with an "invalid parameter -w" and then is "finished" so i cant do anything and have to close it.

so when i close the (cmd) prompt and then try to start it up again (as i like to test things and figure out how they work) it tells me the W: is busy. that obviously rules out anything using port 80 since it worked the first time.

now last night, i couldnt get it to work after turning it off, but when i restarted my computer, it turned on fine. it seems like i can only run it once until i restart.

anyway, any help or even an explaination would be helpful. it doesnt bug me much its once a restart, but i still wouldnt mind knowing why.

thanks,

Madkat

It seems as if your server is not stopping. The stop file does not stop the server when ran.

Try and download a new package and copy that Stop.bat file to replace the one you have and test it.

If it does not work, please reply with your OS, and some brief info i could use to trobleshoot.

It seems as if your server is not stopping. The stop file does not stop the server when ran.

Try and download a new package and copy that Stop.bat file to replace the one you have and test it.

If it does not work, please reply with your OS, and some brief info i could use to trobleshoot.

488[/snapback]

didnt change a thing, although i noticed a blip before it closed on me, so i paused the screen as it loaded and copied this. hope this helps some

C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\UNISER~1\DISKW\USR\LOCAL\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLA~1.EXE: connection to server at 'localhost' failed

error: 'Can't connec to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'

Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.

You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

am i trying to start the server the wrong way? im using start.bat each time, dont know what else to use... and even when i turn on the mysql server on the /a/ page, i still get that error messege in the stop.bat and then the invalid parameter in start... well, by this time its now mysql or something else.

info about the os... i'll give all the info i know, but if i forget anything, you'll have to ask for it.

win98se

authenticAMD

AMD-k7 Processor

384.0MB Ram

32-bit

(taken from the system info from the control panel)

hope this helps some...

have you tried clicking "stop server" in the admin panel?

491[/snapback]

no... i didnt really notice any other way x_x

another problem that ive noticed now is that everytime i restart my computer, the drive disappears and it readds the files everytime, overwriting anything that previously existed. so its like having to reinstall it each time i restart

Edit: okay, i just tried to shut down the server from the admin panel as you suggested... same invalid parameter -w:

x_x

i really do like the idea of the server being on the computer and me having entire access and it being on its own drive but.... is there a possibility that it would be easier to somehow to my computer to read php/mysql without having to add another drive and turn on the server?

First, you lost me.

Second, when you say the drive disappears, are you talking about the W:/ drive. If you are, ofcourse it is suppose to disappear. It leaves whenever you shut down the server ;) because it is connected to the server as a subst drive and not a real drive.

Third, you are very lucky that it works with your Win98SE. We have had problems with it not even starting due to the Process32 bug we have been working on fixing before releasing 3.3

Forth, you can shut the server down by killing the apache.exe or uniserv.exe task in Task Manager.

Fifth, this is what i do not understand, what you are aksing for in your last paragraph... ? :rolleyes: If you are talking about it not making a new drive, then sorry.. we do not use registry so the only way to know the location of the server is with this... :unsure: :) and php and mysql won't start without the right paths and so won't apache...

Try the services plugin, that one does not require another drive to be made... but it uses the windows services... oops.. sorry, win98 does not have services.. forgot :) lol

First, you lost me.

Second, when you say the drive disappears, are you talking about the W:/ drive. If you are, ofcourse it is suppose to disappear. It leaves whenever you shut down the server ;) because it is connected to the server as a subst drive and not a real drive.

Third, you are very lucky that it works with your Win98SE. We have had problems with it not even starting due to the Process32 bug we have been working on fixing before releasing 3.3

Forth, you can shut the server down by killing the apache.exe or uniserv.exe task in Task Manager.

Fifth, this is what i do not understand, what you are aksing for in your last paragraph... ? :rolleyes: If you are talking about it not making a new drive, then sorry.. we do not use registry so the only way to know the location of the server is with this... :unsure: :) and php and mysql won't start without the right paths and so won't apache...

Try the services plugin, that one does not require another drive to be made... but it uses the windows services... oops.. sorry, win98 does not have services.. forgot :) lol

495[/snapback]

i told you, im a noob to this world and so on. and no, the drive does not disappear when i shut down the server, only when i restart my computer.

what i was asking is why i cant turn the server back on without having to restart the computer... or are uniform servers only meant to be temporary and one time use?

if so, id like to ask that you tell me how i could get something a little more permanent. and if you cant, i understand and its fine.

thanks for taking time to help me

The drive is not leaving because the server is not shutting down....

You cannot restart the server because the server is still running even after you run the stop.bat because it does not work....

Somehow the process32 bug only affects the stop.bat file for your system....

To shut the server down, kill the Apache.exe tasks and the uniserv.exe task in Task Manager. :rolleyes:

You cannot restart the server because the server is still running even after you run the stop.bat because it does not work....

To shut the server down, kill the Apache.exe tasks and the uniserv.exe task in Task Manager. :rolleyes:

498[/snapback]

okay, easy enough... but as i asked before... is it a one time use only? meaning all your work is lost/gone when you shut the server down?

I'll try my best to answer your questions..

Olajide doesn't seem to have enough time to actually try to understand what you are saying :rolleyes:

information that might be helpful ( i dont know really what would be but...) im running 98se and am using the 3.1 version.

anyway, my problem is that whenever i turn on the server, it works fine, until i try to turn it off... when i open stop.pif, the apache/mysql/pearl prompt comes up with an "invalid parameter -w" and then is "finished" so i cant do anything and have to close it.

487[/snapback]

The process32 bug Olajide was talking about only affects 3.2 and not 3.1, so you're safe :). About that Invalid Parameter thing, I used to have that sort of error too, when I was on Win ME (), the solution I used to use was, run "subst w: /D" in MS-DOS Prompt after shutting down the server with Stop.bat. Stupid Microsoft seemed to have included a broken copy of subst with Win 9x / ME ;). By the way, it's perl not pearl :)

495[/snapback]

Olajide gave those instructions as he thought you were running 3.2, there's no uniserv.exe in 3.1 (which is what you said you were using)

Edited by MrX

488[/snapback]

No, don't do that!! The latest package is 3.2, which doesn't work with Win 9x / ME.

didnt change a thing, although i noticed a blip before it closed on me, so i paused the screen as it loaded and copied this. hope this helps some

C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\UNISER~1\DISKW\USR\LOCAL\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLA~1.EXE: connection to server at 'localhost' failed

error: 'Can't connec to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'

Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.

You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

am i trying to start the server the wrong way? im using start.bat each time, dont know what else to use... and even when i turn on the mysql server on the /a/ page, i still get that error messege in the stop.bat and then the invalid parameter in start... well, by this time its now mysql or something else.

info about the os... i'll give all the info i know, but if i forget anything, you'll have to ask for it.

win98se

authenticAMD

AMD-k7™ Processor

384.0MB Ram

32-bit

hope this helps some...

490[/snapback]

Oppsss... too late :rolleyes:. The mySQL error is normal, as you haven't started mySQL. If I recall correctly, the only way to start mySQL in 3.1 is to click the link in the Admin Panel (http://localhost/a/). Anyway, with 384MB of RAM, shouldn't you be running XP?

Edited by MrX

another problem that ive noticed now is that everytime i restart my computer, the drive disappears and it readds the files everytime, overwriting anything that previously existed. so its like having to reinstall it each time i restart

i really do like the idea of the server being on the computer and me having entire access and it being on its own drive but.... is there a possibility that it would be easier to somehow to my computer to read php/mysql without having to add another drive and turn on the server?

493[/snapback]

No, it doesn't readd the files everytime you run Start.bat. All changes you've done to the files in W:\ are saved to the "diskw" folder in the folder where you extracted the server to (just go to the folder with Start.bat in it and goto "diskw", you should see all the contents of your W:\ there)

W:\ is a virtual drive linked to the "diskw" folder. Uniform Server is this portable (you can even run it from CD) thanks to that (create a new drive) thing.

i told you, im a noob to this world and so on. and no, the drive does not disappear when i shut down the server, only when i restart my computer.

what i was asking is why i cant turn the server back on without having to restart the computer... or are uniform servers only meant to be temporary and one time use?

if so, id like to ask that you tell me how i could get something a little more permanent. and if you cant, i understand and its fine.

thanks for taking time to help me

497[/snapback]

The very common "being a noob" excuse again :angry:. You need to restart to turn the server on (after shutting it down) because of the Win 9x/ME subst bug mentioned earlier. Uniform Server isn't meant for one-time-only use.. According to Olajide, you can even use it as a production server (but the Win 98SE you're using obviously isn't)

Edited by MrX

498[/snapback]

I have to correct Olajide again :P.

The server isn't running after you shut it down (because it isn't that stupid process32 bug). The only thing that shutting down the server (on your PC) doesn't do is remove W:\

The process32 bug affects the "is Apache already running" check. The subst bug which you are experiencing affects the part where it kills W:\

Olajide: Stop talking about that damn process32 bug ;)

okay, easy enough... but as i asked before... is it a one time use only? meaning all your work is lost/gone when you shut the server down?

506[/snapback]

Your work isn't lost. It's saved in the "diskw" folder, see above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helped, and sorry for talking about some sensitive issues (your OS). I used to fear XP too (because of all those stupid viruses) but after I (finally) installed it, it was good and I have better uptime :D.

Wow so many forked articles B)

I guess I was just bored, wanted something to reply to, had my reply ratio a little too high and (okok.. I'll tell the truth :angry:) wanted to increase my post count :).

You ass MrX :angry:

Well, sorry about that Madkat.. i have been kind of busy and off lately cause i have to get ready for prom and graduation and i am worried about where i would be in 3 months cause i have no idea... :P

Since MrX has made it clear, i now know that you are not using 3.2 but 3.1. Also, it is true that the W:/ drive is not closing. Just read the error. B)

Make a new document called SStop.bat and put this code in there:

: Name: Make Drive File
: Created By: The Uniform Server Development Team
: Edited Last By: Olajide Olaolorun (empirex)
: Comment: Make a drive to use with the new Service Plugin.
: To Developers: Still under development.

@echo off

set Disk=%1
IF "%Disk%"=="" set Disk=W
echo Killing the "S:" drive for the Service Plugin
subst %Disk%: /D
echo Killed the "S:" drive for the Service Plugin
pause
:end

That should kill the drive i hope, unless your situation is real bad. If it kills the W:/ drive then you should be able to restart the server. Also, I believe 3.1 came with the VBS script that allows you to chose a drive letter, doesn't it?

Well... hope this helps....

BTW: MrX, flooding was made for people like you ;)

You ass MrX :)

Well, sorry about that Madkat.. i have been kind of busy and off lately cause i have to get ready for prom and graduation and i am worried about where i would be in 3 months cause i have no idea... :)

Since MrX has made it clear, i now know that you are not using 3.2 but 3.1. Also, it is true that the W:/ drive is not closing. Just read the error. :)

Make a new document called SStop.bat and put this code in there:

@echo off
set Disk=%1
echo Killing the "S:" drive for the Service Plugin
echo Killed the "S:" drive for the Service Plugin
pause

That should kill the drive i hope, unless your situation is real bad. If it kills the W:/ drive then you should be able to restart the server. Also, I believe 3.1 came with the VBS script that allows you to chose a drive letter, doesn't it?

Well... hope this helps....

BTW: MrX, flooding was made for people like you :D

516[/snapback]

*wonders if Olajide even read all the crap he posted*

You might want to try adding:

start SStop.bat

on the last line of your Stop.bat

That should automate the process of killing a drive (or at least, I think so.. :P)

Anyway, Olajide: Thx for the license to flood :).

OMG.. Olajide: I'm gonna kill you ;)

More damn minor mistakes!! (edited after Olajide got kinda pissed off :D)

Not anything serious.. Just a few echo errors (which actually freaked me out)

Fixed code:

@echo off
set Disk=%1
echo Killing the "%Disk%:" drive for the Service Plugin
echo Killed the "%Disk%:" drive for the Service Plugin
pause

I'm still not sure why Olajide used "Service Plugin" but I'm not gonna mess with that part B)

Olajide: You need a really long break from real life :angry:

Edited by MrX

A. That is not the services plugin but the new version, 2.0 if it that i am working on.....

B. There are no errors but just the name of the drive letter and who cares...

C. :angry:

blah... this is... i dont know...

the sstop.bat didnt do anything different and the stop.bat says it failed to do anything... there isnt anything running in the background, forground or any other ground and task manager, as well as all the ports say there is nothing using them or than the normal stuff...

and the drive still does not shut down without a full restart...

i have a simple explaination.... my computer is stupid and i need a new one... therefor.. im just not going to waste anyone elses time on trying to fix this.

c-ya around...

madkat

blah... this is... i dont know...

the sstop.bat didnt do anything different and the stop.bat says it failed to do anything... there isnt anything running in the background, forground or any other ground and task manager, as well as all the ports say there is nothing using them or than the normal stuff...

and the drive still does not shut down without a full restart...

i have a simple explaination.... my computer is stupid and i need a new one... therefor.. im just not going to waste anyone elses time on trying to fix this.

c-ya around...

madkat

527[/snapback]

:angry:²

Install Linux and try again ;)

win98se

authenticAMD

AMD-k7™ Processor

384.0MB Ram

32-bit

490[/snapback]

527[/snapback]

Why should he install linux when Uniform Server is only on windows?

530[/snapback]

*pats his 850MHz, 128MB RAM and 10GB HD laptop*

Edited by MrX

well [edit]MrX, you were making sense for a while there mrx but now im lost entirely. away, i found a simpler alternative through http://www.apache.org

figured it would be simpler on me to get a pre-configured installer and to just turn the entire computer, or something like that anyway... although not nearly as obvious as where to put the website itself... but i'll figure it out.

anyway thanks for taking your time to help me and ill definately be back once i get a better computer.

thanks a bunch,

Madkat

okay... i lied... im back... i did a little experimenting with my computer and my dads (much newer) and his took to apache np, but when i tried to install for my computer, everything went screwy... so im pretty damn sure now that its my computer, nothing to do with your software... anyway, i dont know why i posted this before i tested it.. but i'll let you know of the results.

wow... okay... well, i just tried 3.2 and the good news is that Stop.bat does work now... only... there are 4 other problems that now exist... i copied them word for word:

Apache.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point mysql_real_escape_string could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBMYSQL.DLL

Warning

PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/PHP/extensions\php_mysql.dll' - The specified procedure could not be found.

Apache.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point mysql_real_escape_string could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBMYSQL.DLL

Warning

PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/PHP/extensions\php_mysql.dll' - The specified procedure could not be found.

the first line is the title of the alert box thing and the second is the content (obviously).

i kind of understand what it means... but at the same time no idea. i'll poke around and see what i cant come up with. might even try 3.1

oh yeah, this computer:

XP Home Edition (stupid firewall prohibits every little detail)

AMD Duron Processor

1.21GHz, 512 mb ram

Norton Internet Security 2003 (very annoying)

if you need anything else... just ask.. but if i cant get 3.2 working, im just going to wait to see what you guys say.

Well this is also another one of your faults if i can lay blame on you :angry:

You installed Apache, the binary and probably also PHP and doing this causes problems. You canot run 2 servers at the same time. You cannot have 2 Apache installation at the same time also ;)

You have to uninstall the Apache you installed on that PC and also PHP if you installed it.

After uninstalltion, search your computer for this file: LIBMYSQL.dll

Search for it in the C:/Windows and C:/Windows/System32

They cause problems between 2 installations of Apache!

If you find the file in any other part of your computer other than the directory where you installed Uniform Server on, then delete it!

That should be it :P

Good luck!